Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
08' E350 4matic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what everyone is using in their differentials. I have an 08' E350 4matic and after searching the forums for the past few days there seems to be some debate about what and what not to use. Can anyone shed some clarity on the issue regarding on whether to use 85w90 (stealership item only?) or 75w90....semi-synthetic or fully synthetic?? This sh!t is giving me a headache...

And also what are you guys using for your transfer cases? After doing some research some are using the same transmission oil Fuchs 4134 in your transfer case? Does this sound right?

Thanks

ps-Konigstiger gave me the MB part #'s for the diff and trans case but I'm curious if anyone used any other brands. I can't help but feel that I'm getting ripped off for a total of 3 quarts of oil....

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
75w90 is too thin for the differential on these cars. 85w90 is approx 30% stronger in terms of shear strength and is the fluid required in the 211.

The MB 85w90 is a new spec and is a true synthetic. I change it out with every transmission fluid change (every 40K).

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
The transfer case fluid is not the same ATF. It is MB proprietary and is a clear pale brown
color. It is sold at the dealers in 1 liter or 5 liter bottles. Just get one liter as the TC only
holds something like .68 of a liter. Cost is around $18 for the 1 liter bottle. Some dealers
already have 5 liter jugs for the service department and will sell you a liter if you bring
in a nice clean 1 liter bottle.

·
Registered
08' E350 4matic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, last time I checked with the dealer/parts department the guy was trying to give me 75w-90 (castrol I think?) and something else for the trans case that wasn't on the spec sheet...scary very scary! He said thats what his techs are using, oh boy!!! This is the reason I do my own servicing, thanks again

·
Registered
08' E350 4matic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one more question, has anyone tried the suction method for the trans case or do you have to drop the driveshaft to get to the drain plug?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
You can get in there without removing the shaft. It is a tight space, but it can be done.
Remember to make sure to remove the fill plug first before draining. If you drain it and
can't fill it the dealer will love to see it coming in on a flatbed for a large labor bill just
for the fill plug.
The don't even use 75-90 for the differentials. Factory is higher viscosity. In the last couple
of years MB said it was okay to use a lighter weight lube, but I can not remember the
weights.
I stuck with OEM MB 85-95 lube for the diffs.
If you need the part number for the TC fluid let me know I have it in the shop.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
The differential is easy to drain out. Filling, just make sure you heat the fluid in boiling water to improve the flow characteristics...seriously!

I heat it to around 120-140F then pour. Otherwise its like honey.

·
Registered
08' E350 4matic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are a tremendous help :bowdown: Its good to know that I don't have to mess with the drive shaft...

If I could run the steps by you guys..
1. remove rear crossmember
2. remove vibration dampener

From the pics in the star manual it seems like these are the only things in the way of getting to the plugs on the trans case if the shaft doesn't need to be removed right?

This may seem like a dumb question but there is a oil filler plug, inspection plug and drain plug, can I just fill through the inspection plug instead of trying to get my hands above the shaft to the filler plug???

·
Registered
08' E350 4matic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Henry71, very useful thread. I'll let you know how it went...just waiting for the supplies to get in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts