Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I just found this forum, which is quite impressive. I hope you can help me with the following issue.

Not long ago I bought a 1985 190D 2.0. The car has a heavy mileage on it and it shows, but still feels solid. I like it.
The most urgent thing to fix is the differential, which makes an incredible grinding noise. The play is huge too.
I found out that the ratio on this one is 3.23.
I have a list of other 190´s that share this ratio. However, just to be sure, do you know if differentials have any external identification number or something to indicate the ratio?
I would hate to spend the whole morning underneath the car spitting mud just to find out I fit the wrong diff.

Thanks in advance
gonzalo

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
The drive ratio is stamped onto the external surface of the case. Bring a wire brush and some WD-40 under the car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was looking at a differential on ebay. It's a 2.85 ratio. Checked with a MB Dealer shop and found that my 1991 2.6 has a 3.27. He said the ratios changed with the 1992 model to the 2.85 perhaps to take advantage of the first gear at take off and to improve mileage on the top. Mine does seem to take off in second unless I floor it. His info was dead on with the ebay listing (landautodismantling) which said it would work from 1992-93. Too bad because the price is good, $200 including shipping. Actually the MB guy said it would work except that the speedometer would be off and it still wouldn't use the 1st gear to take off.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anyone know what differentials will work with the 1991 2.6 with a 3.27 ratio? I wound up with a differential from a C230 with 74,000 miles on it but it will not fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts