Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ML430 1999 model
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been searching the forum for mixed tires but can only see up-size and width changes discussed. I am wondering if someone knows whether you can swap out the standard 275/55R17 tyres with different diameter front to rear tyres. I am interested in some Brabus 20 INCH wheels and tires being sold with 305/50R20 rear and 295/45R20 front. I checked a tire calculator and found that the circumference of the rear is 2554 mm and 2430mm front. Would having this difference play havok with the transmission, ETS, and something else that I havent considered.
Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
87' 190E 16V / 93' 600SL / 02' G500
1,197 Posts
You need the tires to have the same roll diameter front to rear so yes this setup would not be ideal.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,135 Posts
It is not advised to run a staggered setup on these trucks.
Like Mike posted, it is not ideal.

What year and model did the Brabus wheels come off of? You also have to make sure the offset and backspacing is correct. If it is not it would be an unsafe vehicle.

If you find the specs are correct and the wheels by themselves are in spec with the ML430 then get a pair of tires that match the the smaller size you posted. Then the truck is even all around, safe and will not harm the drive line or confuse the sensors.

·
Registered
ML430 1999 model
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not advised to run a staggered setup on these trucks.
Like Mike posted, it is not ideal.

What year and model did the Brabus wheels come off of? You also have to make sure the offset and backspacing is correct. If it is not it would be an unsafe vehicle.

If you find the specs are correct and the wheels by themselves are in spec with the ML430 then get a pair of tires that match the the smaller size you posted. Then the truck is even all around, safe and will not harm the drive line or confuse the sensors.
Thanks for your help Mike and Noodles. They are off a W164 and the wheels are stated as being a Brabus monblock S. They are on the Aus ebay site at the moment.
To be safe and not knowing anything about the off-set requirements I might just replace the tyres with the ones that I already have (275/55R17) although being a super expensive size in Aus.
Cheers
Rob

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,135 Posts
It is not a common size. I am using the Nokian WR SUV tire and in their update to the WRG2 of that tire they don't make that size anymore.
I am tire shopping and really don't know what to get yet that will do what the old WR SUV tire can do in the snow without switching to a dedicated winter tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts