Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
Somewhere along the way there was a comment that the filter may be horizontal, but it is indeed vertical.

W163 and General Mercedes Host

What model and year?

On the other end of the spectrum our 1998 SL500 cabin filter is, effectively, in the engine area (in front of the firewall) and it's clearly horizontal.
In the signature and icon on the left.

Thanks- I saw the list but wasn't sure which car supplied the photo. In any case there is a wide variety of cabin filter designs in the MB product line.
Anything I post with photos will always refer to the thread topic and/or noted in the post.
As for "variety of designs and changes", that's an understatement - lol - it can vary within the same year due to a plethora of uncontrollable events such as supply chains, parts availability, sub contracts to name a few. Overall, it is consistent but as many members have repeatedly said, "What were the engineers/designers thinking...?"

Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
Anything I post with photos will always refer to the thread topic and/or noted in the post.
As for "variety of designs and changes", that's an understatement - lol - it can vary within the same year due to a plethora of uncontrollable events such as supply chains, parts availability, sub contracts to name a few. Overall, it is consistent but as many members have repeatedly said, "What were the engineers/designers thinking...?"
I find owing MB products to be overwhelming. Now I have to say that in the 1970's era I sold manufacturing equipment to MB* and visited their plants in Germany. I don't remember the exact year but it was in the older style swing-axle days. I managed the then Magneform division of Maxwell Labs and MB used Magneform to crimp steel bands onto flex-joint boots. Strangely, Maxwell is now owned by Tesla.

Our 1999 ML320 was bought new in San Diego and the 1998 SL500 was bought used in 2006.

Now to get to my main point. Beyond several "ordinary" cars, I have owned an Austin Healey 100-6, a 300 ZX, a custom Buick Regal Turbo, and 3 new Corvettes. (Actually 4 Corvettes, one was a replacement for one totaled in a house fire). I have spent more time, money, and energy on these two MB's than I spent on all those cars in total. I'm 88 now and am looking at around $1,000 to do necessary work on the two MB's. There is no easy repair on our MB's. If there were easy repairs this forum wouldn't exist.

*Our primary clients were GM, Ford, Chrysler, the Japanese leaders and aerospace. MB was a minor client for our systems.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts