Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I looked at all the air cabin filter removals DIY videos and threads and I couldn't find anything that would help me... I'll provide as much pictures as I can.

To my understanding, the only thing that is holding up the panel under the passenger side glove compartment should be two philips screws.

after removing the screws and possibly 2 clips, the cover should drop down letting me access the cabin air filter housing.

I don't know why, but it seems that my 1999 ML 320 has a different set-up than the usual.

Instead of philips screws, I have two Torx 15 screws that is NOT connected to the panel. (unscrewing it has no effect on the removal of the panel itself)

Instead, the panel seems to be clipped into the part behind the right side close to the door itself.

The plastic piece with the green spacers as seen below is the clip that holds the entire plastic piece up.

I have no idea how to unclip this and gain access to the air cabin filter housing...

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,980 Posts
There is a small wedge shape clip in the middle of the panel, flick it down and give it a 1/4 turn. 2 screws at the front also need to be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a small wedge shape clip in the middle of the panel, flick it down and give it a 1/4 turn. 2 screws at the front also need to be removed.

I don't see a clip on the underside of the panel. There's only two indentations with two rectangular holes in them.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,980 Posts
Sounds like it's had some agricultural modification. For all we know it could be glued up there. There shouldn't be any thing else holding it up there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it's had some agricultural modification. For all we know it could be glued up there. There shouldn't be any thing else holding it up there.

Yeah... we bought it brand new from the local dealership too. Had it in the family for the last 18 years almost lol.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Here is the 3 fixings that hold it up. If it doesn't come down after there removed you have something else holding it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the 3 fixings that hold it up. If it doesn't come down after there removed you have something else holding it up.

Yeah. My panel is nothing like that.

There are no two front tabs for the screws (and it uses torx 15 screws and not phillips) and there are no clips in the middle. There is a plastic piece on the right side of the panel clipping it into something above though.

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
855 Posts
Our 1999 ML320 is completely different from every video I have seen. Indeed, there are two Torx screws which have nothing to do with holding the panel. There is also nothing to tip, flip, move, whatever. It seems that the panel is held up by two major "plugs" that hang from the top of the area and, I think, two green metal "wedges" that fit somewhere along the right side of the passenger footwell. I have no idea how to get all these things lined up at the same time. If anyone has had this experience and succeeded, please let me know.

For now my wife will have to do without that panel which no one sees. The 12 volt socket is not there but she doesn't use it anyhow.

I wonder how many videos are made with instructions that don't match our situation.

I can see the two major wedge items but have no idea how to get the other small green clips back into place.

At my age and condition I am unable to crawl up into that space to do the fine alignment needed for the 4 attach points, especially the small green metal ones on the far right of the panel.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,971 Posts
At my age and condition I am unable to crawl up into that space to do the fine alignment needed for the 4 attach points, especially the small green metal ones on the far right of the panel.
After reviewing other posts. Replay deleted.

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
855 Posts
Yes, Witek_M, I have replaced the filter on the ML as well as the SL. It's just aggravating that there are so many variations of the setup on the ML and so many DIY videos that are clearly wrong. There are one or two that recognize that, in most versions, the two screws in the front have nothing to do with the filter or it's cover. There are some that specify the screws are Phillips while my useless ones are T15. I have seen only one comment on this thread that shows the configuration I have, that is two major hang-down pillars and two green clips. Nothing more and no levers to flip. At 88 years old I am not as flexible as some others but I do all my own work on both cars unless changing transmission filters, etc. I do all the topside engine work.

·
W163 and General Mercedes Host
3,270 Posts
Yes, Witek_M, I have replaced the filter on the ML as well as the SL. It's just aggravating that there are so many variations of the setup on the ML and so many DIY videos that are clearly wrong. There are one or two that recognize that, in most versions, the two screws in the front have nothing to do with the filter or it's cover. There are some that specify the screws are Phillips while my useless ones are T15. I have seen only one comment on this thread that shows the configuration I have, that is two major hang-down pillars and two green clips. Nothing more and no levers to flip. At 88 years old I am not as flexible as some others but I do all my own work on both cars unless changing transmission filters, etc. I do all the topside engine work.
CalCiCi,

Following along on this thread.
Sorry to read about your issues.
My comments:
The 2 screws up front (on the underside cover passenger side) on my ML are phillips machine-type screws that hold the underside cover in place up front and in the center of this bottomside cover is a plastic levered push-type expansion fastener. Not sure why yours has T15s, but you can swap them out to phillips screws.
What you refer to is only an underside cover to the lower dashboard, that's it. Nothing more.
Access to the cabin filter is right above this cover, (above the power outlet, built into this cover, if you have one) right next to the transmission tunnel.
Often, YT posters of MB DIY videos don't explain to correct detail the DIY process and in many cases, generalize the DIY when it may only apply to a specific model and/or year.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 5.44.30 PM.png

This YT video is pretty self-explanatory, if you have not viewed it.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,971 Posts
Yes, Witek_M, I have replaced the filter on the ML as well as the SL. It's just aggravating that there are so many variations of the setup on the ML and so many DIY videos that are clearly wrong.
Only way to work on MB is to follow factory manual. YT videos are for girls with polished nails.;)

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
855 Posts
I don't have the factory manuals but my reality is that the two T15 screws in front have nothing to do with holding the panel and I have simply reinstalled them. I think the best way to show what I have is with some pictures. You will not find any screw holes in the front of the panel. You will see two slots that connect to two spring-loaded top hangers.and two small green clips on the right side that engage some fingers. Finally, there is some indication that the left side is intended to rest on a ledge under the console. Have a look and you will see how different my '99 ML320 differs from some others.

·
3,270 Posts
Different fastener mounting locations for this earlier year cover, otherwise it serves the same function.

02 ML500 -
Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 8.12.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 8.12.13 PM.png

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
855 Posts
Thanks,

That's quite different. I don't understand the two piece structure. It's really amazing that MB made so many changes from year to year.

I saw a similar tendency in the serpentine belt tensioner designs for various 500SL editions. Some simple, some overly complex.

·
3,270 Posts
If you have a photo of your fasteners for this cover, please post. I'd like to see them myself.
Cheers

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
855 Posts
Will try to get some pictures today I have been switched to an early personality. Recent posts were from a temporary identity, CalCiCi. I was also chhs1950 for a while.

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
855 Posts
Will try to get some pictures today I have been switched to an early personality. Recent posts were from a temporary identity, CalCiCi. I was also chhs1950 for a while.
First of all, this is my new member name, recovered from long ago. Recent postings have been as CalCiCi but I finally got my old account back.

Now for some pictures. There is a front and bottom view of one of the two appurtenances that hang down from above and engage the two slots shown in my prior pictures. You can see that they are simply spring loaded and there is nothing to flip, move, or rotate. In addition, the prior pictures showed two metal prongs on the right edge of the cover that engage matching clips above. Those little buggers are hard to align. Finally, there are absolutely on screws associated with the panel, none.

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
855 Posts
Sorry about the bad contrast in the first picture but I think you can get the idea. Those two spring-loaded gadgets simply plug into the sockets in the cover. It was indeed an issue trying to bend, flip, turn, whatever, those items, following earlier video examples. In addition, I can see that the two Torx screws do something up inside the hidden area but they are in no way associated with the cover we are discussing here.

The vehicle is a 1999 ML320 purchased in San Diego area fresh off the lot.

·
3,270 Posts
Sorry about the bad contrast in the first picture but I think you can get the idea. Those two spring-loaded gadgets simply plug into the sockets in the cover. It was indeed an issue trying to bend, flip, turn, whatever, those items, following earlier video examples. In addition, I can see that the two Torx screws do something up inside the hidden area but they are in no way associated with the cover we are discussing here.

The vehicle is a 1999 ML320 purchased in San Diego area fresh off the lot.
Thank you.
Spring-type U-clips
Interesting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts