Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
This is my first post. I was wondering about a few things in the MB W140 series. Can anyone outline the option and feature differences between S320, S420, S500 models. I'm concerned with the 1995 model, since that's what I'm looking in to purchasing. I'm interested in all the little things like rear seat separations, the two little antennae that help you reverse park, along those lines.
Another thing, I've noticed a little nob beside the driver and passenger, kinda where other car models have their seat adjustment controls. What is that nob?
Also, where is the CD changer? I only see a slot for the cassette, but a lot of the cars I'm looking at list a CD changer, and I can't really spot it?!
Thanks, and take care :)

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the base specification for all of these cars is the same. Any differences arise from ordered options. Things could be different in different parts of the world.

It's with the 600 in the USA where you get to a car that comes fully outiftted with a lot of options as "standard."

How much reading have you done? 1995 is still in the troubled wiring harness years. It is good advice to seek 1996 or newer. For 1995 and older, be sure to carefully inspect engine compartment wiring harnesses before buying.

Brett

·
Registered
1997 V140 S420 LWB, 1992 R129 300 SL
348 Posts
Like Brett mentions - a lot depends on where you´re located.
Here in Europe, the idea was that you - the customer - decided exactly how you wanted your car specced. No "standard packages".

In other words you can get your hands on a fully loaded S320 as well as a S500 with hardly any options at all.

I asked MB here in Norway about the engine wiring harnesses, and it doesn´t appear to be that much of a problem over here for some reason. Due to different climate perhaps? I´m glad I didn´t replace mine @ $1000 + labour, when my problem turned out to be caused by the crankshaft sensor @ ~$170... and I know of several others who have been told to replace the harnesses, just to find out that their problem is still there.

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
the reversing guides only came on 1994 and older w140's i believe...as for the options, it's like everyone else said. I've heard of S320s with two-tone leather, reclining rear seats, rear sunshade and side sunshades, tray tables, and coolers for the champagne...most of these can only be found on the S600 normally.so really it depends on your location.

The knob next to the seat is the lumbar support adjustment knob for the seat. it basically controls firmness of the lower backrest.

like someone said, cd changer is in the trunk.

and obviously engine sizes. s320 comes with an inline 6 with 228 HP, the s420 comes with a v8 and 268 HP, and the s500 also comes with a v8 and 322 HP.

also, the transmission on the s320 is a 5 speed while the s420 and s500 have a 4 speed.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
The 320-600 were engine sizes the 600 was a V12. As mentioned before it had to do with finish, the 4s and 5s had burlwood trim, the lesser had zebrano. The 600 had more wood trim, ashtrays roof mirror covers and individually controlled rear seat AC. The back up rods went away in 95 and a different radio and console panel was fitted along with minor body changes like rounding of the trunk corners. The 500s had electric rear seats and headrests, where the lesser had only a vacuum release. The 95 also had an electronic transmission, with a summer and winter setting.

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
In the US market, S320 & S420 have zebrano wood trim and 500 has burlwood. S500 has 4 place seat heaters standard, optional on others.

trey

·
Registered
CL 500 // S 500 L // E 320 T
548 Posts
As said before: it all depends where are you located.

If you are in the U.S., the 1995 model is more a of transition model than anywhere else in the world. For example: the backup reference antennas where still standard in all 1995 U.S. models, not deleted until the 1996 model year. In the rest of the world they were deleted at the middle of the 1994 production run.

The electronic 5-speed auto transmission on V'8s was not also available until 1996 in the U.S., same thing with the reworked M119 V8.

I would strongly recommend to get a 1996 (or up) instead of a 1995.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
S500L said:
The electronic 5-speed auto transmission on V'8s was not also available until 1996 in the U.S., same thing with the reworked M119 V8.

I would strongly recommend to get a 1996 (or up) instead of a 1995.
To me those are the two reasons to go for a 1995 model. Isn't it sort of a matter of personal opinion. The "later is better" theory just doesn't hold up for MB in the 90s - they were cutting costs like crazy, and implementing electronic schemes that proved to be way over their heads.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
deanyel said:
To me those are the two reasons to go for a 1995 model. Isn't it sort of a matter of personal opinion. The "later is better" theory just doesn't hold up for MB in the 90s - they were cutting costs like crazy, and implementing electronic schemes that proved to be way over their heads.
The 4 speed is a less complicted and arguably more durable box, also the interior quality was toned down slightly after the face lift. There really is no problem with an earlier W140 so long as it was maintained, the only real red flag is the wiring harness and the bushing wear in the front end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts