Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted a Mog for some time now, and have finnally made enough money for one. What are the differences between a regular 404, a 404s and a 404.1? Out of these what is the best to own for a half street, half not street vehicle?

Thnx

·
Registered
1968 MB Unimog S404
1 Posts
I could be wrong, but here goes......there are two types of S404's, 404.0 and 404.1. The 404.0's have a bit more of a civilian looking cab and have the M130 engine with the dual carbs- I think they are a little less common than the 404.1 as well. The 404.1 is the common military version. I know they were used by the German, Swiss, Belgian and French armies. They have a bit more spartan cab and use the M180 engine.
The Belgian, French and German military variants are pretty much the same. The Swiss ordered thiers without the cab canvas and beds and then constructed thier own. Hence, the somewhat different appearance.
There are also a few different body styles to choose from. Troop/cargo beds, ambulance bodies, radio shelter bodies, water pumper bodies and dry chemical bodies are a few types.
I have a 68 Belgian S404.1 and like it alot. I have had some other military vehicles..M715, M1009 and consider the 404 to be the coolest and most capable.

-Jamie

·
Registered
1981 Ural 375 , U1300L 1988
64 Posts
S404 - 404.0

Jamie basically outlined the run of 404 models. There are a few variances but the difference between a S404 and the 404S is where you put the S. The S is officially before the Model Number, some people prefer to write 404S. if you visit www.unimog.nl there is a listing of each model and production numbers.

The 404.0 was primarily produced for the Fire Brigade market, however there were a rare few that went to Denmark to be used as Ambulances and even fewer more were used as cargo trucks with a soft top. These trucks had a short production life begining in 1971 I believe and ending sometime in 75. The 404.0 has a tilting 416 style cab, hydraulically actuated clutch, usually a Heavy duty suspension (boosting the GVW by almost 2 tons), sealed beam headlights, etc etc. They also offer 30 more HP through the useage of the M130 engine with dual Zenith Carbs.

I have imported about 7 of these rare trucks mostly all being portable pump tenders and having little if any useage. Most of these trucks are quite capable offroad and offer a little more oomph over the road for the hills.

Hope this answers at least the difference between the S404.1 and the 404.0

1 - 3 of 3 Posts