Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560SL
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

im recently re-locating from Damascus, Syria, to Orange County, California within this week.

im into classic 1980's and 1990's japanese turbo powered cars. now that im moving back to california, im going to work at my brother's mechanic shop in which he owns, i asked for a car and he got me a 1986 560SL, Black on Camel (isnt that wat the interior color is called?)

as i was expecting a 1990's Toyota MR2 or a Nissan 300ZX, he got me the 560SL, he said he can really see me in this car with the TDWD at Laguna Beach!

i still dont know the value of this car or its condition, but from his description he said he had the top-end completly rebuilt. as he described that the low-end on these cars never go bad.

this whole 5.6 litres V8 engine thing is totally different from the turbo 2.0 litre 4 banger engines i used to work on...

ok so as the title says, what are the differences in years between 86-89? what should i look in the car when i first get it? i think he said its got 186k miles on it. the paint and body is very mint for its age (as decribed by him), he encouraged me to get the euro headlights conversion along with the front and back bumpers and some nicer wheels. can you see this car with an 16-18 inch deep dish rims with lowered suspension? or do you think that these type of cars are of more value for the owner (sentimental value) if it was all stock and vintage?

any performance upgrades for this 5.6 v8? :D (i need to get "turbo" out of my head i know)
thank you for your answers, i will take pictures as soon as i hit LAX :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,204 Posts
Hello,

im recently re-locating from Damascus, Syria, to Orange County, California within this week.

im into classic 1980's and 1990's japanese turbo powered cars. now that im moving back to california, im going to work at my brother's mechanic shop in which he owns, i asked for a car and he got me a 1986 560SL, Black on Camel (isnt that wat the interior color is called?)

as i was expecting a 1990's Toyota MR2 or a Nissan 300ZX, he got me the 560SL, he said he can really see me in this car with the TDWD at Laguna Beach!

i still dont know the value of this car or its condition, but from his description he said he had the top-end completly rebuilt. as he described that the low-end on these cars never go bad.

this whole 5.6 litres V8 engine thing is totally different from the turbo 2.0 litre 4 banger engines i used to work on...

ok so as the title says, what are the differences in years between 86-89? what should i look in the car when i first get it? i think he said its got 186k miles on it. the paint and body is very mint for its age (as decribed by him), he encouraged me to get the euro headlights conversion along with the front and back bumpers and some nicer wheels. can you see this car with an 16-18 inch deep dish rims with lowered suspension? or do you think that these type of cars are of more value for the owner (sentimental value) if it was all stock and vintage?

any performance upgrades for this 5.6 v8? :D (i need to get "turbo" out of my head i know)
thank you for your answers, i will take pictures as soon as i hit LAX :bowdown:
The 1986 560SL is a fantastic car. Basically all 560SLs are the same with the one noticeable difference being the change in third brake light in 1988 and some very slight unnoticeable differences to things like wiring differences and engine controls.

A Mercedes is not a good car to modify engines on because the after market performance industry has not embraced MB. People have turbocharged and supercharged the 560SL but no kits exist. But for about $150,000 you can have a V-12 installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts