Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 16'' wheels with 205/55R16 tires and switched to 17'' wheels in a staggered configuration 225/45ZR17 (front) and 245/40ZR17 (rear).<br>
<br>
I definitely noticed improved grip. However, the car seems more sluggish than before. <br>
<br>
Is this normal? I guess with increased grip (= increased friction) and increased wheel weight and size results in lower performance. Anyone know how much performance difference to expect?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the difference may be in the weight of the wheel ... more

If you purchased a heavy 17' wheel the added unsprung weight would make your car slower during acceleration and braking but the steering response would be greatly improved.<br> <br> Luke<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: the difference may be in the weight of the wheel ... more

The steering response is definitely much improved.<br> <br> I didn't really compare wheel weights before mounting the new wheels. <br> <br> The original wheels were the 16'' 2002 CLK 320 OEM wheels. The new wheels are the 17'' multi-piece AMG Styling III wheels. No doubt the new wheels are heavier. <br> <br> Are they that much heavier so that there would be a noticeable difference in acceleration?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luke, is there a chart of wheel weights we can look up?

I read somewhere that 1 pound of additional wheel weight equals 8 pounds or soemthing like that due to rotational force.<br> <br> Anyway, what's the difference with going from 16' steel wheels (C240) to 17' AMG one-piece (yeah, there's four styles, but they'd be more or less the same, right?).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts