Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

a strange I know, for some reason the key I have for my SL will only work in the rear bootlock, it will not work in the doors? I find this very strange. The cars RCL works fine.

Any advice would be great, or if anyone in the UK can advise anywhere to get a key cut would be excellent, or how to retrieve the master key data would be useful.

Matt

·
Registered
873 Posts
Mwaite1985 - if you really want them all to work on the same key, call around to locksmiths and find one that can "retool" the door locks - you will have to take them out and take them and the key to him.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Maybe at some point your door lock cylinders were replaced and the PO forgot to give you the keys that goes with it. Your best bet is to go to the dealer and provide them your VIN and they would be able to get the door lock cylinder that came originally with the car. So, you'll be able to use one key for all locks. But, it's also possible that the Trunk lock cylinder was the one that was replace. The dealer would know which one is the original.

Good luck.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Maybe at some point your door lock cylinders were replaced and the PO forgot to give you the keys that goes with it. Your best bet is to go to the dealer and provide them your VIN and they would be able to get the door lock cylinder that came originally with the car. So, you'll be able to use one key for all locks. But, it's also possible that the Trunk lock cylinder was the one that was replace. The dealer would know which one is the original.

Good luck.
Maybe, but then if the same key turns the ignition and opens the trunk, probably for some reason the door locks were changed. Any accident history? Could the entire doors have been swapped from a car at a salvage yard? Any repaint?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,

sorry for the slow reply!

Some good points made, it makes me wonder about the doors, they all look straight under inspection.

Is it a hard job to change door barrels?

Thanks,

Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts