Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo, 85 VW Golf Diesel, 86 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport, 91 Chevy S10 Blazer
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a conundrum for me. My 87 190D-Turbo has no keys (i lost them, stupid me). I went to the salvage yard and grabbed an ignition with key from a 190 2.6. From what i could see there were no differences except for a couple of vacuum lines that attached to the original. I transferred those over and rehooked it all back up but it wont start. Won't even crank. All the lights come on except the glow plug light. Is there a difference between the gasser and diesel ignitions? All the numbers on them matched, they look exactly the same, but i've got nothing. I bow to superior knowledge here, this is my first Merc. :bowdown:

Thank you for any info ya'll can provide!

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,247 Posts
Those vacuum lines are to actuate the stop lever on the injection pump. In your case the car should crank over.
If I were you, I would go to the dealership with proof of ownership showing the car's VIN and they will make you a new key. Then you can use the original ignition switch and the key will work with all the locks.

·
Registered
1987 190D 2.5 Turbo, 1999 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor, 1986 190D 2.2 397,000miles
130 Posts
You actually could have just went to the Mercedes place ( i did) and give them your vin they would have gave you a new key without the other one. I thought they would have to have a key, but they do not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts