Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 500SE, 2000 Lexus G300
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this been brought up before? Searched but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, my question is to the people who have driven both the coupe and the sedan. Is there a huge difference? I'm currently driving an '83 380SE, which is quite nice. I like the feel, I like the mass, I like the comfort and "solidity."

However, I find myself looking more and more often at the coupes.. especially the really nice ones, 500, 560's, with bodykits and whatnot. I guess it's the "younger me" that wants something a bit more, um, selfish, I guess :) I find that I don't carry many people on board, at least not very often. So a 2-seater plus 2 smaller backseats will do me just fine.

Is it worth it?

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,609 Posts
The SE and the SEC have some similarities in handling - unlike the SEL which is an entirely different beast.

Having said that, they are still worlds apart, the SEC drives and handles like a coupe, the SE is a sedan, albeit short.

Best bet is to try and find one of each and drive them to get the feel yourself.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
SomewhereInAsia said:
Has this been brought up before? Searched but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, my question is to the people who have driven both the coupe and the sedan. Is there a huge difference? I'm currently driving an '83 380SE, which is quite nice. I like the feel, I like the mass, I like the comfort and "solidity."

However, I find myself looking more and more often at the coupes.. especially the really nice ones, 500, 560's, with bodykits and whatnot. I guess it's the "younger me" that wants something a bit more, um, selfish, I guess :) I find that I don't carry many people on board, at least not very often. So a 2-seater plus 2 smaller backseats will do me just fine.

Is it worth it?
When I went looking, 10 years ago, I had an open mind about them.

Tried out the 300SE, 420SEL, 560SEL, and 560SEC.

The bigger the engine, the faster (and thirstier) the car. There is absolutely no real difference in around town traffic, in any of them. The 300SE (in USA at least) has a lower axle ratio than the 560, so the 300SE is surprisingly quick and nimble in city driving situations.

The 560 engine, accellerates faster onto the highway and in overtaking situations, than the smaller engined cars.

But all of them ride rock solid on the highway, and will easily cruise at 120 mph or more.

I finally decided to purchase the 560SEC because I liked its looks more even worked as a vacation cruiser for four adults, surprisingly. But it is a little crowded in the bvack seats of the coupe, compared to the SE and SEL sedans,
which give rear seat passengers limousine like room, with footrests in the SEL.
The coupe gives the same rear boot space as the sedan.

If you won't be hauling rear seat passengers much, the coupe will work just fine.

The coupes seem to be more "sexy" looking than the sedans, generally, and sell for more.

All of them feel heavy at slow speeds, and you wonder why they are so cherished, but then over 70 mph, they come into their own.

I once ran at 148 mph for a few minutes, and except for the wind noise, there was no difference than at 70 mph. It was amazing.

My coupe is lowered with eibach springs, and 16" tires, but otherwise stock.
And at 119,000 miles and 17 years old not ONE squeak or rattle at 90-100 mph.

Which ever car you choose, be sure you get one in top condition, even if it costs more, and preferably with complete records and books, and look for the usual faults: rust, evidence of repaired collision damage,
airconditioning, leaks around the front and rear windows, vacuum locking,
seatbelt presenters (coupes), and get one in a color you really like.
For more tips, see: Welcome to MB Coupes! (the buying guide, I helped write it, but it was in 1999, and the prices mentioned are not relevant now)

Often an unmolested, unmodified, original car with few owners would be best.
If you are in Asia, some of the best examples and best kept low mile cars are coming available in Japan. Many are left hand drive, some in US specification.

Lots of RHD ones are from Hong Kong, but many are in poor condition. Australia has some nice RHD ones too, though many of them came from England and Hong Kong.

You sound like you could enjoy a coupe. If your circumstances and budget will allow for it, go ahead and look at one.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Singapore is another source of RHD cars, however some can have electrical issues because of the climate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts