Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope that this is the right forum to ask...

We're stuck on the E320 wagon, but I just spied a C240 and was wondering what the differences are.

Which is larger?
Do both have the 3rd row seating?
Better regarded?

Thank you for any opinions and/or experience you can share.

·
Registered
632 Posts
This is an oversimplication but...

In the sedan/wagon category:

S-class - Top of the line. Most power, most luxury, most cost, no wagons.

E-class - Midrange. Good power/economy, almost most luxury, medium cost, wagons.

C-class - Entry level. Smaller, Low power/economy, some luxury, low cost.

Of course, there's overlap. You can get a E class with an optional larger motor which will rival the S class in power.

While the 'class' is the badge on the trunk, most of us divide the cars by their chassis designations. A E320 in the era you're looking is a W210. A C240 from 2001-2006 is a W203. The forums on most of these sites are organized that way. You'll find more info and knowledgeable feedback on the C240 in the W203 forum. Although, I'm sure some W210 owners have also owned C-class vehicles.

BTW, the number in the class designation is the engine size (metric). So a C240 would be a 2.4 liter engine, a E320 is a 3.2 liter and so on. 'D's at the end indicate diesel models.

Hope that helps some. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That WAS helpful. Thank you.

Simple works best for me when it comes to cars. Hubby doesn't have time for all of this research and is relying on me to find the vehicle I want...he'll get involved at that point!

·
Registered
316 Posts
The badge on the back can be miss leading on some models in reguards to engine size . An E 240 was 2.4 litre back in 98 but from 2000 an E 240 was infact 2.6 litre . Also an E 200 kompressor was 2 litre until the 211 came out when the E200 became 1.8 litre

·
Registered
35,805 Posts
I would start with a question "what sizes of your family are?"
I noticed that generally Asian people fit in C-class just fine.
I am 5-10 but with long legs - even older E-class was uncomfortable for me. Heck Hummer H2 wasn't having good legroom by my requirements.
W210 and W211 are probably best on the market for long people besides S class.
Few years ago when I was on the market for a wagon I could buy relatively new C-class wagon very cheap. The seller disclosure that the wagon was just too small for his family and was selling it after a year with big loss.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We're a family of 7...2 normal sized adults, 2 boys, 3 dogs and lots of junk to haul around to accomodate us. We need something that our dogs can ride in on the way to the beach, but something we can fit an extra kid or 2 in for playdates and sporting events.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Get the E320

wagon and a roof pod(we use a yakima space cadet)
27mpg hway room for the fam the dog and the kitchen sink.Check with us before you purchase and as always inspect,inspect,inspect.:thumbsup:
:bowdown:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I've owned a C class and now own 2 E class vehicles. The E is vastly superior. For a large family, don't even consider the C class as it is too small. You need at least an E class wagon or a larger SUV with 3rd row seating. The E class wagon drives like a dream. We just took a trip to Florida and to North Carolina. As Olord suggested, we installed a Yakima roof carrier (17 cubic feet) and placed the dog in the cargo area (NC trip). With the wagon loaded to the T and being that it's a 4-Matic (All wheel drive) we got between 23.5 and 24 MPG.

·
Registered
35,805 Posts
Warning about Yakima mounts. My friend bought new kayak and from the same dealer he bought Yakima bars and brackets for his RAV4. Just days after the purchase the Yakima brackets snapped off and kayak flapping on extra rope bang pretty new SUV on several sides. Yakima hesitate to accept the claim and he is suing them now.
The MB cross bars are rock solid, but I am pretty skeptic about Yakima plastic bracket with thicknesses of sheet metal.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
The

metal bars with the cam lock and screw adjusters clamp on and won't let go.You unlock them a few turns of the screw and pop open the clamps and off it goes back into the storage shed behind the house.Never had a problem.
It will hold a ton of soft luggage and it will drop your mpg about 1.5 mpg at 80mph,but that is the price you pay to punch through air:)
:bowdown:

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
You'll find that C240 (168 hp 2.6 V6) to be grossly underpowered when you load it up with people. The C class is a smaller car, as other people have pointed out, but if you don't need the space all the time you might not need the larger E class. You can get a C320 wagon with a larger engine (215 hp 3.2V6 - same motor as in the E320) that will give you better power.

The C class cars from 2001 to 2007 (W203 body style) have fared poorly in terms of reliability and owner satisfaction. For that reason alone I would avoid them.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts