Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
e320 (w210)
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone!!
i have never done any of this two services since i bought my car...i need 2000k miles more to get to service A.
whats the difference between them and what do they include on a service...like oil change,filtres etc?
what about the difference on $$$$$
thnx...

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Price seems to depend on where you live, and whether you use an Indy or a dealer. MBUSA has a section telling you what they borh involve and I think so does your owner's manual.

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
you know whats crazy in my opinion, alot of what I was reading says "Check - Inpsect followed by Additional Cost". God Bless this forum for promoting self sefitiency.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
There is really ZERO reason why anybody should take their car to a shop for a service A.

Check tires/Rotate tires, 45 minutes, Zero Cost

Oil Change, 30 minutes, $15 for filter, $52 for oil, $6 for tool, $73 total

Lube service, 20 minutes (do while oil drains), $3.50 for can of lithium spray
grease

Brake inspection, cost Zero, do while rotating tires

Check fluids and filters, cost zero, takes about 20 minutes

So, we have about 2 hours, and $80 bux.

Not to mention that every time you do it, you become more familiar with the car, what it should look like, and you can do extra stuff that isn't on the list.

Service B is the same way, but it does require a bit more work/knowledge/tools

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
OliverK said:
There is really ZERO reason why anybody should take their car to a shop for a service A.

Check tires/Rotate tires, 45 minutes, Zero Cost

Oil Change, 30 minutes, $15 for filter, $52 for oil, $6 for tool, $73 total

Lube service, 20 minutes (do while oil drains), $3.50 for can of lithium spray
grease

Brake inspection, cost Zero, do while rotating tires

Check fluids and filters, cost zero, takes about 20 minutes

So, we have about 2 hours, and $80 bux.

Not to mention that every time you do it, you become more familiar with the car, what it should look like, and you can do extra stuff that isn't on the list.

Service B is the same way, but it does require a bit more work/knowledge/tools

Well put. And it is true that you do become more familiar with the vehicle you drive. For instance I notice that the last machanic who worked on my car didnt notice several things, Tire size was dangerously wrong - I notice when I rotated my own tires - Clamp missing from MAF in the eara that connects the entire unit to the engine - wow, I noticed that by just looking at the engine. Granted there are things the service department can do which we cant or may not have the knowledge, but I personaly would much rather have the fishing rod, rather then be handed the fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts