Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Can anyone tell me why the 1997 C36 is faster then the 1995 C36. Don't they have the same engine? thanks

·
Registered
Mercedes 500E & CLK32K
511 Posts
97 c36 has a five speed auto trans and 276 hp, vs. the 4 speed auto and 268 hp.

·
Registered
2010 ML350/ 2002 Audi S6/ C36 AMG
40 Posts
I've driven a 96 & 97 and a 95 and I couldn't really tell the difference in performance.

The 97 5 speed felt the most sluggish out of a dig. The 4 spd locks up 1st gear nicely., but the 97 does rev lower at hwy speeds which can be nice on mpg's.

If the 5 speed was more reliable I probably would have opted for a 97, but too many stories about that tranny got me worried.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey 2phast didn't you put 18's on that ride?

Need to know im going for the amg mono 5 spokes and I know those front brakes are huge. Someone said as long as the et is 35 for the front it will work ????? I also saw something that you mentioned about rolling the fenders or maybe that was 19's... please help

here is the wheel i want to use

Detroit Wheel and Tire: Product Search

·
Registered
96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
1,626 Posts
it will work no problem stop your worrying. unless your gonna run 265s in the back you dont need to roll the fenders more since they are almost completely rolled already by AMG

·
Registered
Mercedes 500E & CLK32K
511 Posts
The five speed auto of the 97 has nothing to do with the increase in HP. If I remember right, it was either ecu tuning or different cams that netted the additional HP.

Yes, I did put 18x8 and 18x9 AMG monoblocks on my C36. I had to trim a little bit of the passenger side fender because of rubbing issues. AMG does roll the fenders of the C36, but not all the way and mine was rubbing on the front lower corner of the fender where it meets the bumper, I used a dremel and cut that part of the lip out, didn't want to risk damaging the fender.

I used H&R sport springs and cut one coil off to get the car to sit right. You may or may not need to do any additional lip work. My C36 had a replacement fender on it, so that very well could account for the rubbing issue, as the drivers side never had any problems.

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG Relegated to C280
52 Posts
I know that the 97 has a five speed but that shouldnt give it more hp. I want to know why its has more hp then the 1995 ones
Perhaps the the design of the engine plays a part e.g. straight 6 vs V6.

Maybe 97 was v-block

·
Registered
96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
1,626 Posts
nope all were i-6

G

·
No, neither is any different to 120mph. They have almost identical ratios (even factoring in the diff gears). In fact, the 4speed should be faster to 120 (but the difference is so minute it would be only a fraction of a car length if that). Only once you hit gears 4 & 5 do things change a bit. The top gear ratio in the 4spd is basically an avg in the middle of gears 4 & 5 in the 5speed. So technically you could argue the 4speed is better in certain scenarios.

Honestly I don't see what everyone is complaining about hwy rpms. My 4spd is barely spinning at 75mph. The E36 M3 was FAR more extreme in its gearing and its a 5speed too.

The simple answer is MB is probably playing numbers game (like they always do). Rarely are their numbers 100% accurate (especially their acceleration numbers), usually they are on conservative side. In fact, I've never seen any dyno evidence to prove the 97s actually put more power to the ground. My 96 makes extremely strong numbers.

Either way the only real factor difference that matters between the 4spd & 5spd is transmission strength threshold and hwy cruising rpms... thats it. Performance really has nothing to do with it at all. The 4speed is much stronger, fails far less. The 5spd has lower hwy cruising speeds. Some think that is "better", to me its not, its all preference. I like having the engine higher in the power band on the freeway, it makes overtaking easier without needing to down shift (especially with crank pulley).

hope that helps

·
Registered
1996 Silver C36
543 Posts
Did the wiring harness get updated from 95 to 97? Will a '97 wiring harness need to be replaced?
Don't know the answer...but, I did have to have my May 1996 build C36 engine wiring harness rebuilt for the insulation degradation/breakdown problem.

Perhaps by 1997, the wiring was changed to the non-bio-degradable variety? Those environmental greenie folks have a lot to answer for!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
97 immune from head gasket but the flip side is their transmissions are notorious for failing. I would much rather have a 96 that had head gasket replaced than a 97.

Power levels didn't really change I think it was just MB playing numbers games as usual. All C36s dyno pretty much identical numbers, theres never been dyno evidense to show 97s actually make more power b/c nothing has changed component wise between 95-97 as for as power/drivetrain is concerned (minus the tranny & diff, but that doesn't actually change HP, just gearing). Perhaps MB thought they could crank up power numbers to justify higher geared diff but honestly I think its just number games.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't know the answer...but, I did have to have my May 1996 build C36 engine wiring harness rebuilt for the insulation degradation/breakdown problem.

Perhaps by 1997, the wiring was changed to the non-bio-degradable variety? Those environmental greenie folks have a lot to answer for!
LOL :thumbsup:

·
Registered
450, 350 & 280 SLC (W107), 280TE (W123), C36 AMG (W202), Brabus B6S (W210)
107 Posts
I've got two (1995 and 1997) and I've noticed really big difference. 5-speed is MUCH better mpg and, yes, it's faster. And electronics has changed. On 1995. its simpler, but on 1997 almost all diagnostics is done on computer.

I also was little worried about 5-speed transmission. Weakest point on 5-speed transmission is connection between engine and gear-box. I've got advice from transmission repair service to get my 5-speed to them and they'll change that parts to the same as 4-speed. Then at least mechanically 5-speed will be as reliable as 4-speed. It has to be done while gear-box is still in perfect condition.

·
Registered
1996 C36 ///AMG and a 1995 C280 sport
672 Posts
I've got advice from transmission repair service to get my 5-speed to them and they'll change that parts to the same as 4-speed. Then at least mechanically 5-speed will be as reliable as 4-speed. It has to be done while gear-box is still in perfect condition.
haha, I would take that advice with a GRAIN OF SALT! Which tranny repair shop was this? So we can avoid it! :eek:

·
Registered
450, 350 & 280 SLC (W107), 280TE (W123), C36 AMG (W202), Brabus B6S (W210)
107 Posts
You'll avoid it anyway as it is in Latvia. By the way, best one in region for Mercedes-Benz. Cheapest protection against damaged gearbox as this 5-speed may broke unexpected. I haven't heard any complaints about them for several years and their advice works. General problem is one connection and that's it. It wears out, becomes loose and in case of kickdown may slip so damaging most of gear-wheels in gear-box. In that case there you'll need new gearbox. Have seen such cases there. And because of that I was cautious before buying my C36 and searched a lot of information about these problems with 5-speed transmission.

·
Registered
360TE AMG; 500E
112 Posts
i think 97 has just better ECU and tuning , that's it
Yep, the 1997 C36 had Siemens ME electronics, while the previous model years had Bosch HFM electronics. The early 3.2 and 3.4 AMG M104's had CIS.

This is similar to the M119 line of engines: First CIS, then HFM, finally ME.

:) neil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts