Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
E55
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone please tell me the differences between an '05 E55 and an '05 E55 with the MY06 upgrade (which I think came out in September)

Thanks to anyone that can help :)

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
There was an upgrade in 2006? :confused:

·
Registered
E55
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe only relevant in Australia, but models with a build date from September 2005 are distinguished differently from ealier models as having the 'MY06 Upgrade'.

One dealer here told me the difference between the two was that the MY06, had as standard several things that were options on older cars. These included:

Harmon Kardon Stereo
Folding side mirrors
Luxury seats
+ some other things

The guy didn't seem that confident or sure so I was hoping someone could spell it out for me.

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
Folding mirrors are not a U.S. option at all. The differences are the '06 has a quicker ratio steering rack, and an improved cluth pack on the supercharger. That's the only thing I know of that's changed on U.S. models.

·
Registered
1990 420SEL, 1979 450SEL, 1973 450SE, 2003 C320S, 2005 C230WZ, 2005 E320W Avantgarde
95 Posts
In the states, the 05 got a better Airmatic setting as well. Less spring and more shock. Better ride, and same handling.

·
Registered
Currently: 08 E63 AMG P30
3 Posts
Thanks

This has been very helpful :bowdown:
I am trying to decide which year I should buy, the improved clutch - does that just make it smoother? I read on one of these forms that it stops it from doing some sort of infamous chirp - can someone elaborate more?

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
Yes, the updated clutch pack is meant to prevent, or cure the "chirp" on the older models and can be fitted to earlier cars (hopefully under warranty). The engagement of the clutch isn't all that smooth even on my '06. It depends on engine load and throttle position. It is sometimes very noticeable and feels like a slight stumble or hesitation. Other times you can barely tell. A higher boost pulley will make it worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts