Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 E220cdi Executive Estate
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused.
I'm looking to lengthen the life of my 270 and have been advised to change the diff oil. It's a 10 year old car (52reg sept 2002) and I'm unable to tell if the diff oil has ever been changed.
So as a precaution and as advised, I'm getting my Indy to change it.

He's asked me what spec oil to use, and I've run into a minefield, having searched on this forum and come up with some heated debates about which spec oil to use.

Previous threads suggest Mercedes use Fuchs Hypoid 75w85 oil but that this changed to 85w90, but suggestions are that most people are using MobilOne 75w90, of which there seems to be varying specs as well.

None of this makes any sense to me, especially when I read that some people say do not use some of these as they will damage the diff!!!!!! I don't really pretend to understand what all the different viscosity grades can do, and I simply need to know what to buy to enable my car to last another 18 months in the uk running mainly up and down motorways in top gear all the time doing in the region of 70,000 miles a year, with the best protection and efficiency.

Is there actually a standard and simple answer to my question please?

·
Banned
2006 E320 CDI
932 Posts
You should do some search on the forum and read the info carefully before starting new thread for stuff that is been discussed already. MB recommends 75W85 for all cars except W163 which still needs 85W90 not vice versa like you said, and cars w/LSD are using 75W140. Here you can find lots of info, post #89 contains MB document about the changes.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/1520582-gear-oil-85w90-75w90-doesnt-matter.html

and here:

Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, ATF, Coolant, Brakefluid

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,339 Posts
The 75W-85 is what MB is putting in the diff at the factory and has been for a few years now. So go with what Isstay posted.
It also gets a tiny bit better fuel economy because it is a lighter fluid than the 85W-90.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should do some search on the forum and read the info carefully before starting new thread for stuff that is been discussed already. MB recommends 75W85 for all cars except W163 which still needs 85W90 not vice versa like you said, and cars w/LSD are using 75W140. Here you can find lots of info, post #89 contains MB document about the changes.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/1520582-gear-oil-85w90-75w90-doesnt-matter.html

and here:

Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, ATF, Coolant, Brakefluid

That's the kind of answer I was hoping to avoid, having spent a couple of hours this morning reading various threads on the forum and still not finding a straight answer, probably because a lot of posters are in USA and suggesting there are different specs there to Europe and the uk.

If I read these threads, all I see is people offering different opinions about what is acceptable to use or not, with other people arguing with them.

I'm yet to find a definitive answer for a uk owner of a w211 of my spec.

Are you saying 75w85 is 100% what I should use, when many other people recommend Mobil 75w90?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 75W-85 is what MB is putting in the diff at the factory and has been for a few years now. So go with what Isstay posted.
It also gets a tiny bit better fuel economy because it is a lighter fluid than the 85W-90.
But everyone over here is banging on about 75w90 which is the Mobil product, yet there seems to be a coupe of standards within that viscosity as well.

Is 75w85 readily available to buy do you know?

·
Banned
2006 E320 CDI
932 Posts
I hope this is the answer you are looking for: 75W85 is available at the dealer but cost is around 60$ for a bottle here in states and you have to buy two because the least amount you need depend on differential gear size is 1.3 L, some take more. 75W90 covers 75W85 and is widely available, thus cost less. You have even bigger choice because you are in Europe. Gear oil like Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75W-90 it is on approved list of products that MB publish just follow the link I posted and look for oil that is available around you and is also on the list. Mobil1 Synthetic Gear oil 75W90 is not approved but the commercial version of it Mobil1 Delvac Synthetic Gear oil 75W90 it is, thus why many members are using it.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,339 Posts
I thought the 75W-85 was part# 001989330312.

Dealer list is $29.50. I do know some dealers mark it up a lot because they have to buy at least a case and let it sit on the shelf forever so the gouge on it.

·
Banned
2006 E320 CDI
932 Posts
I thought the 75W-85 was part# 001989330312.

Dealer list is $29.50. I do know some dealers mark it up a lot because they have to buy at least a case and let it sit on the shelf forever so the gouge on it.
Sorry my bad I was thinking about Fuchs 75W85, I never ask about MB fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.