Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve tried to be really proactive with preventative maintenance with my 2011 E350 wagon. Love the car and I want it to be reliable for as long as possible.

I split my maintenance work between my local dealer (that’s actually pretty good & cost competitive) and a well-regraded MB indy shop.

I called for a quote at the Indy shop for changing my front and rear diff fluid.... The Indy shop ARGUED with me and said the diff fluid shouldn’t be changed!!! Again, seemingly well-regarded MB Indy shop...

Anyone ever heard of this? Guess I’ll be going to the dealer on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yuppp... lifetime fluid.
I would worry about it only at 300,000 miles.
Most of MB differentials don't have drain plugs, so changing the oils can turn into quite a task.

Thank you for this. At least it makes me feel better about the local Indy shop. Yeah, I read the procedure and it looks like the front diff on a 4matic is a real bear to change.

Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
2012 E350 Bluetec
8 Posts
Did my diff fluid at 60k with my trans and torque converter fluid. Lifespan is 100k but why it's cheap and I could feel the difference.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2003 SL500, 2012 E350 4Matic P2
840 Posts
I changed my rear at 93K and the oil that came out was the same color as the new stuff I put in. Easy enough to do but make sure that you can remove the fill plug before draining the oil from the rear diff. Those plugs are hard to remove. The front diff is a more involved process. There is a drain screw but the new oil must be installed with the axle shaft removed.

I looked in the maintenance booklet and could not find a definitive change interval for either the front or rear diff's on our cars with the exception of the high performance AMG models. I think that a life time fill is what MB had in mind for the regular models. or at least several 100K miles.

Good luck,

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed my rear at 93K and the oil that came out was the same color as the new stuff I put in. Easy enough to do but make sure that you can remove the fill plug before draining the oil from the rear diff. Those plugs are hard to remove. The front diff is a more involved process. There is a drain screw but the new oil must be installed with the axle shaft removed.

I looked in the maintenance booklet and could not find a definitive change interval for either the front or rear diff's on our cars with the exception of the high performance AMG models. I think that a life time fill is what MB had in mind for the regular models. or at least several 100K miles.

Good luck,

Bob

Hi Bob - thanks for the insight and research. Glad to hear your rear diff fluid was clean at 93k, which is precisely my mileage right now. Somehow the thought of “lifetime fills” just seems like failure inducing logic, but hey, I’ll live with it for a while longer.

Thankfully, I’ve already done the transmission fluid service.

Thanks again

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Overly-Anal-Compulsive-Me?

I change my Diff Oil on my vehicles at 50K miles invervals.

It, literally, takes only a few minutes... And for a 'Few Bucks' every 4 or 5 years?

"Peace-of-Mind = Priceless"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts