Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for those of you keeping score, the last time I posted, the ACC failed on Dieter the Diesel and the evaporator was the culprit. I had the evap replaced and the ACC works great now. The car runs strong and has no rust. The interior is perfect.

BUT-

Dieter was painted by the previous owner and the paint job was, to be charitable, cheap. The paint on the hood and the roof is starting to crack and has no shine to it (it's smoked silver). In addition, to save money I guess they painted the bumpers and plastic panels to match the rest of the car (they should be mussel grey I believe) and parts are peeling off. Not big chunks and probably not noticable to anyone but me.

What would you do? Have it repainted and the plastic panels done right or just drive it as it is?

If I do bite the bullet and have it repainted what can I expect to pay for a correct paint job? It's not a gullwing or a 540K special roadster so I don't want to mortgage the house, but I do want it to look nice.

Thanks!

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Are you sure Special Edition cars don't have body painted bumper covers and side cladding?

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the places where the paint has peeled off it is a darker grey. My other cars where it has chipped a little are yellow so I assumed they would be a contrasting color.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
I have a notoriously lousy memory for 124 trivia, but I'm pretty sure these models had monochromatic color schemes. If the underlying bumper covers are darker, it may just mean that they were replaced at some point. Truthfully, it's really about your personal preference, since these aren't exactly going to be collectors cars or anything. Does the hood have an intact hood pad?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,384 Posts
Oh Gawd, NOT another Dieter. That makes 2 now.:D:D:D

As far as the paint, I think you have to evaluate how much this car means to you and IF you plan to keep the car for the long haul as a really good paint job is going to cost quite a bit.

As in the thousands. The better paint shops use the better paints. BASF paints are excellent (no surprise there) and last a very long time. In other words, a good paint job is unlikely to be found at MAACO.

My '95 diesel also has the same 2 tone scheme (silver metal paint w/ darker grey claddding & bumpers). The bumpers could use a repaint and there are a couple of minor flaws in the body paint as well. I was quote $4200 for a respray.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dieter the Diesel

He actually is named after my nephew. He is a teenager, smells bad, is slow and makes a lot of noise. Notice the similarity? (I saw a 220D one time that had a license plate that read PU2U2).

I had figured it would be between 4 and 5 thousand for a respray but I thought I'd ask. I think I am going to just drive it for the time being and decide what to do in the spring.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,710 Posts
I think it should be "Dieter der diesel" or something like that since my German is poor ;)
Peeling off paint is the biggest sh** you can get yourself into. Even if you try to repaint it - smoothing out peeling edges will be a nightmare and the 2nd coat will sooner or later peel off with 3rd coat on it.
I think the only reasonable options are to live with it, or wrap it. This is what I did with my motorhome, where paint would cost about $30k.
Non reasonable option would be put $8000 on paint restoration.

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
Im gonna be the exception here, and say

Do the cheap respray and make it look nice... for a while anyway... THEN you can decide to keep or sell... and get a better price for the better looks...

If you decide to keep then you can allocate funds to 'do it right' and keep him for a LOOOONNG time! :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts