Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently picked up a 95 E300 Diesel, and after spending some time looking it over and driving it, that non-turbo Diesel has perked my interest.

At the same time I've been looking for an estate for a while now.

So I was wondering, does anyone know if Mercedes built 1995 estates with the Diesel option?

I've looked in several locations, and can't seem to find reference to one.

Also in general, where can I find info on the availability to diesel powered estates, or how many were built by year etc.. I see 87's for sale frequently, not much else in the diesel/wagon catagory

Thanks...

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
MB built diesel-powered sedans and wagons throughout the model run of the 124 chassis. Unfortunately for those of us in NA, MBNA only saw fit to send us a diesel wagon in one year; 1987. I think they only imported something like 1500 units total, so that's all you have to work with, if you want a factory-prepped 124 diesel wagon.

btw: I have one, and I'm never ever selling it; they're that good.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize that a diesel wagon was a one year thing in the USA. I knew that the 87 was a one year drivetrain but i thought that, when non-turbo diesel 124s returned some years later, one could get that in a wagon. Too bad for us.
Makes me covet a nearby neighbor's smoke silver over burgundy leather 87 a bit more!

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rare estates

MB built diesel-powered sedans and wagons throughout the model run of the 124 chassis. Unfortunately for those of us in NA, MBNA only saw fit to send us a diesel wagon in one year; 1987. I think they only imported something like 1500 units total, so that's all you have to work with, if you want a factory-prepped 124 diesel wagon.

btw: I have one, and I'm never ever selling it; they're that good.
So from what you are saying, S124 Diesel Estates are as rare as the W124 500E/E500's..

1500, thats it??

The reviews I've read on the diesel 87's were not all that flattering with that particular engine...

So your saying that MB did build a 95 S124 with the new non-turbo diesel, but didn't market it for NA......What a shame.....

Any idea why NA was left out, (again)? I'm sure it couldn't be the tree huggers influencing our politicians and policies...

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
So from what you are saying, S124 Diesel Estates are as rare as the W124 500E/E500's..

1500, thats it??

The reviews I've read on the diesel 87's were not all that flattering with that particular engine...

So your saying that MB did build a 95 S124 with the new non-turbo diesel, but didn't market it for NA......What a shame.....

Any idea why NA was left out, (again)? I'm sure it couldn't be the tree huggers influencing our politicians and policies...
1500 is the number I've seen before...though, not officially.

The only substantial issue specific to the engines in the '87 300D/TD is with regard to the cylinder heads, which were prone to cracking. The replacement heads, or even the upgrades from a '90 and later W126/W140 300/350SD were good enough to fix that problem.

I have no idea why MBNA decided not to offer the wagons with the OM606 engines in '95, even though they went on to offer a very similar engine in '96-'97 with the W210 (also sedan only). You'd think they would've definitely offered a wagon when they introduced the OM606 turbo engines in '98-'99. I don't think politics had anything to do with those odd decisions.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,367 Posts
You'd think they would've definitely offered a wagon when they introduced the OM606 turbo engines in '98-'99. I don't think politics had anything to do with those odd decisions.
I think it all has to do with how the wagons are perceived, especially in the US.

Just mention the word "wagon", and people instantly think of Ford Country Squire or Buick Roadmaster waterbed on wheels. Maybe it's a legacy instilled by Chevy Chase and the family truckster in National Lampoon's Vacation.

Same issue as when the word "hatchback" gets mentioned. Ford Pinto & AMC Gremlin is in the top 3 of people's guesses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts