Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1980 250GD Cabrio
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to switch over to burning bio-diesel in both 250 in my G and 300TDT. Before I do so, I am preparing myself for the possibility that the fuel will cause the seals in the pumps to deteriorate over time and I may be faced with replacing them. Can anyone provide me with advice on how difficult a project it will be to replace the pumps in the event the seals go.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
I'd peruse some of the home-brew biodiesel discussion boards. They ought to be fully versed in any downsides of running biodiesel.

·
Registered
1980 250GD Cabrio
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The jury is still out on the long term effects because there is not any long term data. All available information indicates that pure biodiesel (B100) should have no negative effects other than the deterioration of certain types of rubber. I'm just trying to figure out what sort of costs and efforts will be required to repair the pump in the event the O-rings go on it.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
engnenk - 3/22/2005 2:41 PM

I am about to switch over to burning bio-diesel in both 250 in my G and 300TDT. Before I do so, I am preparing myself for the possibility that the fuel will cause the seals in the pumps to deteriorate over time and I may be faced with replacing them. Can anyone provide me with advice on how difficult a project it will be to replace the pumps in the event the seals go.
First, there are no negative effects to the vaccuum pump. The injection pump is another story.

What kind of bio-diesel will you be running? Will you be buying it, or making it yourself? What kind of oil will you be running on?

Chuck

·
Registered
1980 250GD Cabrio
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan to run commercially made B100

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Braingears - 3/22/2005 5:19 PM
....First, there are no negative effects to the vaccuum pump. The injection pump is another story.
I think he was refering to the lift pump that draws fuel from the tank to the injection pump, since fuel doesn't touch the vacuum pump.

I think the little hand pump part is like $15, and the whole lift pump is like $150...But those are just "Benzbin" prices, you could probably do better.

Check a "Performance Parts" catalog under 240D. The injection parts will apply to your G. I'm not sure what kinds of rubber parts might contact fuel in the Bosch injection pump.

Try contacting Craig Reece through www.biofuels.ca. He's run any kind of oil you can think of, converted benz's to SVO, etc. I'm sure he'd have some light to shed.

-Dave G.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts