Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
08 ML320CDI
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has pulled a trailer of significant weight 5000lbs.+ and what your thoughts were. How does this thing (with a diesel) pull the weight?
Thanks
dieselfan

·
Registered
5 Posts
we have a 420 diesel here in the uk and have towed a 800kg trailer with a 2 tonne car on the back (this is about 6200lbs) and its amazing. It copes with amazing ease but you need to be careful not to speed as 80mph easily appears and then you remember your pulling a trailer!

I would like to see another car that can pull this well while wafting passengers in such luxury...

·
Registered
08 ML320CDI
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome,
As I live in the states I am not able to get a 420 so I wonder is anyone has done some towing with the 320 6 cyl.
Thanks for your reply and hope you enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
thats a good question.... MY G 500 has more power but less toqrue than the GL, I also dont have the 6 speed trans.. Mine does ok towing. Ive pulled a lot of stuff thats way over weight, like Sl500+ trailer, and 14K lbs of tile, a bob cat... etc etc... The G500 is more of "it can" than it does it well....

If you not towing a lot id say you will love it, but if your going to tow over 5K a lot you might looks for something else. We have a nissan armada, its rated 9K lbs vs the G's 7K pounds and its night and day the difference. Ive had the armada's cruise set on 80 (speedlimits where 75) with a 3K pound trailer and my G500 on the back..6K. with no problems at all.

one option you also have, ( what im looking for) is buyt the GL / the suv you want, and the buy a cheaper tow rig... 93-00 2500 suburbans and 3/4 ton yukons with the 454ci motor tow 13,000lbs... you can find these now for $3500-10K in good shape, not to mention when something does happen you just tore up a cheap suburban instead of a $70K suv ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts