Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'76 406.145 Doka tug
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my feul cap due to seepage down and around the filler neck. But the new cap is so good that I had problems with air being drawn into the feul filter housing (marginal o-ring surface on one bowl,, i'll get to that) due to vaccum in the tank. I had to remove the cap after every drive. For a temporary solution for long drives I disconected the feul feed to the cab heater (not looking forward to priming that again) However this is a poor solution in case of feul expansion due to temp change. I can't imagine this was overlooked at Mercedes, but neither do I see a vent. If anyone has info on the proper operation of this I'ld appriciate it. I don't really want to modify my tank from stock.
Hmmm mebby jus replace it all together with a larger capacity unit,.. hmmm

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,404 Posts
My 416 has a unusual tank set-up - 2 of the smaller 90L tanks (not the ones connected with the big rubber hose).

Both of them have three hoses at the round fitting where the fuel sender is located. One suction, one return and one vent. I have the two vent lines tied together and routed back into the engine bay and up the passanger side A piller, terminated in a one way valve.

As far as I know, all the 406/416 style tanks should be vented.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
CrashMaster, I had the same issue with my 416Doka after replacing the fuel cap seal. Most Mogs are equiped with a hard plastic vent line that goes straight up between the cab and bed. This will not work with the double cab. I never did figure out how mine went twenty years without a properly vented tank unless the fuel cap was replaced with a non venting type at some point. What I did was remove a plug that capped off a hole in the top of the tank and then drilled and tapped it for 1/8 NPT. I then put a barbed fitting in and ran a vent line along the original fuel lines up to the back of the cylinder head. This seems to work fine and I did not have to modify the tank in any way. Send me an email if you would like a pic.

·
Registered
'76 406.145 Doka tug
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update on this. Banjo (or flow-thru) bolts and fittings with the same thread pitch as the tank are common to nissan and toyota power steering systems.

My tank had gasketed plug on top like the suction and return fittings. I cut off the crimp and tossed the hose. I'm still looking for the right piece of nylon hose to run up under the doghouse 'till then the foam block will do.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts