Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 82 300D Turbo with 300,000 miles on it. Just recently noticed that alot of gray smoke is coming out of the exhaust. Alot more than usual. Ive been running Diesel injector cleaner through. Anything cause this. Is it a compression issue. Ive also noticed that recently it has been hard to start, so I knocked up the idle just below 900 rpm. Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The white exhaust indicates a possible head gasket leak. Antifreeze could be getting into the cylinder chamber. The temperature may run hot too. Just a guess.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Grey Smoke = Oil

I don't think that you have a head gasket leak. This is common wear and tear. You probably have worn gooves into the cylider walls after so many miles. Whatever you do, DO NOT SHOOT ETHER into the engine to start it. I once bought a parts car when they did that, It blew ALL the rings strait off the pistons.

I would keep tabs on the oil consumption. Also, use heavy weight oil in the future. 40wt is thicker and is VERY common with higher miles diesels. Until then, Drive it until it dies! Congratulations, you've just broken it in.

Chuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.