Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
We had it in Canada between 2005 and 2007. Since, its only the gas engine. I personnaly dont think they will import the diesel again for north america.

We like diesel here but not apparently into USA.

BTW: in winter, the diesel is colder inside the cabin and less powerful for highways, etc.

Uncle Benz

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
i would prefer a CDI for sure over a regular gas one. i know lots of people that would agree. they were in Canada and were popular. but in North America lots of the CDI's aren't sold. my friends mother wanted a CDI 2009 E class wagon but it wasn't available do to some laws or something. such a shame since the CDI is better in some cars.

oops just saw the date of this! sorry for bring it back.

·
Registered
35,775 Posts
OK... so this question is a year old but really... :D This is like asking what is the difference between peanut butter and Jelly
No, it is more like Jelly and kilebasa.
When you work hard, you can get lot of work done eating kielbasa.
Not so when you support your body with Jelly.
When Hummers got on private marked, they got gasoline engines as military diesel was not too powerful.
Than some fans took them to Baja, Mexico for desert racing and the cars did not make it to first fueling station.
Ops...

·
Registered
35,775 Posts
My reply 18 months ago still seats on top of the page.
Not much traffic here.
But here is another try.
I am considering buying diesel Smart from Canada.
Before calling DMV, anybody has experience with registering diesel in California, or at least in USA?
Also how do you value those cars?
No KBB, nor edmunds have Smarts in the menu.

·
Registered
35,775 Posts
Some follow up on the research I did couple years ago on buying diesel to CA.
It turn out pretty much doable as I've got letter from MB of Canada that the car confirms to USA federal laws and the only issue was recalibration kph to mph.
But I was trying to buy the car from Canadian who was vacationing in US with his motorhome and by the time he was on his way back to Ontario.
Still process is not fully guarantee till you do it as you have to deal with 3 government agencies who each have their own rules and don't communicate with each other.
Now I bought E250 Bluetec who delivers 60 mpg on highway or close to 40 mpg in the city, so buing Smart for fuel saving lost its edge.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,995 Posts
Kajtek1, if your E-Class Diesel is getting 60 MPGs, imagine what a tiny smart diesel will do! Sorry to read you weren’t able to snag it!!!

·
Registered
35,775 Posts
From what I read the Smarts of early 2000's did not make 60 mpg, even they weight like 1/3 what E does.
Would love to hear update what 2015 or 2018 Smart diesel does, but that is more out of curiosity as I have too many cars already and the 60 mpg E is a keeper.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Canada got smart cdis in 2005 and 2006 model years only. Driven gently they will top 70 US MPG overall (lifetime MPG). Driven very gently, 80+ MPG US is possible. I've driven two of them for 400,000 km and the lifetime average of one was over 60 US MPG and the other about 59. The 59 MPG car is very heavily modified with 50% more power than stock.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't care what the mileage is, I saw pics of a guy who was literally chopped in half after he rear-ended a truck with a Smart. Other than a boot-around vehicle for in town, no thanks for me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't care what the mileage is, I saw pics of a guy who was literally chopped in half after he rear-ended a truck with a Smart. Other than a boot-around vehicle for in town, no thanks for me.
Ah yes, that old fake news story. The car was a VW BTW.....smarts have three wheel bolts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts