Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I am new here, although I have used this forum to get myself familiarized with some of these old diesels. Anyway, I am looking to buy one asap, and I have looked at two in the past week but I am unsure. I thought I could run the situations by you guys and see what you think!

The first one I looked at was a 92 300D with 119k. Sweet huh? Well, it needed a good deal of work- front exhaust pipe, flex joint, ac relay and recharge, new front tires, and the dust pan on the trans needed to be adjusted or whatever (shifts were a little hard) Scratched back windows, cracked plastic center console, moderate hole in driver's seat. Anyway, they wanted 5500 for it with the work done. I realize that they could easily get this on ebay but the car is only worth about 4000....and they didnt seem too happy with my initial offer. Btw this was a mercedes shop selling it, so you would think it would have been in better condition?

Then today I looked at an 87 with 216k. They guy wants 3500-4000. He most likely got it for wholesale price. It was ok, but it needed the rear flex disc badly as well as ac recharge, and some things didnt work, like the rear window, cruise control. It ran well though, except it sounded like it had a dirty injector and a little leak on another injector. Kinda like it needed new nozzles or something. ALSO, when it idled with the ac on, it kind of did this weird thing where it "hiccuped" or jumped every now and then. He said it was the compressor turning on and off. When he turned off the ac it ran fine. This one is worth about 2000 in the books. The miles arent really a big deal to me, but I think it would still bring down the value.

So I guess my question is, should I expect to be paying way more than the car is worth? I realize that they are old and will not be perfect, which is fine, but I dont see why I should pay more than it is worth if it needs a good 1000 in work. I know there seems to be a demand premium on the TDIs, and 123s, but is it the same for 124s?

I dont mind paying what they are asking, but I want to at least make sure it is in good running condition!

Is changing the flex discs something I can do on my own? I know I can fix the injector problem pretty easily. As for a/c, I know the are notorious and recharging shouldnt be a big deal, but....

I need a reality check, please. Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
The Diesels don't make much sense to own anymore. With Diesel pushing $5/gal, they are no longer cheaper to run..... Unless you are going to run grease or home made BioDiesel, then it is cheaper.

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
Yeah - I had several waves of diesel fever over the last few years, but after an honest assessment of what I wanted in a Benz and what I had to give, I stayed with my gasser. There will no doubt soon be a LOT of W123 diesels on the market with $4.50 fuel costs.

·
Registered
95 E300D
78 Posts
The A/C is not an easy or inexpensive fix whether you do it yourself or have someone do it. Check the engine wire harness. If it is cracked and the insulation is crumbling, it will need to be replaced. The other big problem can be the glow plugs. They can break while trying to remove them.

Try MercedesShop - Mercedes Benz Parts and Technical Information there are a lot of diesel heads over there.

When I was looking for a diesel last year I talked to a shop that service and sold MB. Even though the guy had several diesels for sale he kept asking why I wanted one. He recommended a 98 or 99 C230 for good fuel economy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I will post on their forum as well.

And yes, my ultimate goal is to run on grease. I have a 91 cougar that is capable of up to 27 mpg hwy if I am careful, so I compare everything to that...and most new cars that are at least medium sized are still only getting 28 mpg at best, which is about what diesel cost and mileage would come out to for a gasser.

Cant beat a TDI, but I don't really have the money for one (or its repairs) at the moment. That is why I am sticking with the old Mercs.

Isnt it sad that a 1990 Benz can do better than most new cars in its class? I still want a nice highway cruiser, not an economy car.

·
Registered
95 E300D
78 Posts
Even though diesel is more expensive than gas, it still costs me less in fuel to run the diesel than my Audi. The Audi gets between 20-24mpg, the Merc 30-35 and fuel costs are $0.24/mile and $0.15/mile respectively.

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
Skip both of those. Look at 10 diesels, and you might find one good one. Keep searching - you'll find the one you want and you'll know it when you see it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts