Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on diesel giant last night looking at what he sells and saw diesel purge. What is diesel purge?

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
It is an injector cleaning fluid that is burned by itself. Goes in clear, turns black. You need to rig up a temporary fuel tank, using just that stuff. I do that on every MB diesel I've bought, haven't noticed much difference, but I feel better.
The pic is of my set up. Diesel Giant should have instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. All of my injectors are less than a year old so I don't know if I should do it now or wait.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
It'll clean out the IP also,I think. If you are not having issues, should'nt be very high on the priority list.
Any reason why you want to do it in the first place?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've got a few video clips (before and after purge) of my 300D's engine on youtube.
YouTube - AKJeeper's Channel

The engine was fully warmed up prior to using DP, so the knocking noise you can hear in the 'before' video isn't due to a cold engine. If you listen to the engine in the 'after' video, you'll notice that the knocking noise is gone. Engine seemed a bit more responsive.

I was a bit disturbed to see the black gunk come out of the return line and back into the bottle. DP is mostly diesel fuel (says so on the can!), but somehow it seemed to clean out the fuel system and make the knocking disappear on my Merc's engine. Definitely replace your fuel filters after using DP...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to do it because she's running a little rough. Could be because of the -25F weather we've been having but she stays plugged in all night. I took it to a MB dealer about 6 months ago and had them do a valve adj. When I picked it up I was amazed at how quiet it was. I don't think I have ever heard one that quiet. Couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. The thing is, about 1-2 months later it was loud again. Sounds good hope it works for mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also wanted to ask if the diesel purge would help with the copious amts. of smoke coming out of the tail pipe.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I did diesel purge soon after I bought my car. Poured two bottles in half gal "tank" and drove around neighborhood. It did great job - very little smoke on startup and It starts much easier. I am generally sceptical about fuel additives, but I think this stuff really works.

I also wanted to ask if the diesel purge would help with the copious amts. of smoke coming out of the tail pipe.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
just buy some. I think two bottles would be enough. there are a lot online stores where you can buy it cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'll probably do it. I've used the additive that supposed to lower the cetane level, clean your injectors and also has an anti gel agent in it, but it only seems to have kept the fuel from gelling up. That was a big help when it sat at work for 8 hours when it was below zero all day.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It may help some, but the best way to reduce smoke is to use RedLine Diesel Fuel Catalyst - available at many auto stores - I get it at Pep Boys. I've used it in both the CD and SD since they were new and even on heavy acceleration, they do not smoke at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was able to find Lubro Moly Diesel Purge at NAPA for $6.00
This is cheaper than any online supplier.
If they don't have it in stock they can order it for you, part # lm2005

·
Registered
291 Posts
my car barely had any life in it when the PO bought it. i know him personally, and had ridden in the car the first month he owned it. i laughed at how INCREDIBLY slow it was. a good 240D would destroy it. i road in it after the purge as well. seemed like a whole new car. the PO now drives an 87 SDL and same story for that.

it can really save a starving engine, but i wouldn't think it would really be necessary if it runs fairly smooth.

EDIT: i should note, both these cars sat for at least a year.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Diesel Purge made/distributed by LubroMolly also sells Diesel HiTest. I use the diesel HiTest product as often as I can. Adding a can at just about every fill up. There is a difference in the engine. Especially in cold weather, the starts are crisper and smoother idle. I use Diesel Purge once per year in both my diesels. The High Test will, over time, control black smoke. Providing of course all else about the engine is in good working order.

Thanks,
Zill.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I was a bit disturbed to see the black gunk come out of the return line and back into the bottle. ...[/QUOTE said:
Hi
That "black gunk" you see coming back to the bottle in the return hose is from deteriorated jumper return lines between your injectors.
Joseph

·
Registered
513 Posts
Actually its sludge caused by the carbon in diesel.
Hi
Seems to me you wouldn't have carbon as a separate component in unburned fuel. The fuel in the return lines is the excess that wasn't injected into the engine and is just being returned to the tank.

I suppose a test would be to replace the return lines just before doing a Diesel Purge - to see if the returning fuel is still black.

Or, am I missing something here?

Regards,
Joseph

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.