Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300 sd turbo
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure that this topic has been brought up before but my problem is that i have a 300sd that has not been started in 3 years and people tell me to do a diesel purge. How can u do this if the car wont start it sounds like it wants to but it just wont turn over don't the engine have to be running to do a purge any info would help[?]

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
You loosen the fuel lines and use a container to see when fuel reaches them and then either use the hand pump or use a freshly charged battery and crank - your choice.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
No, you can’t purge unless the engine’s running. Check to see if one or both of the filters are clogged. Make sure you’ve got a good battery and starter. Check to see the glow plug relay is good and there is less than .5 ohm resistance on the glow plugs. After three years the fuel tank may be full of algae, which can clog the fuel tank filter screen. Also after that time the prechambers may be choked with carbon and interfering with the glow plugs. The engine’s compression should also be checked. Purging will clean the injectors to help the engine run smoother and start easier. Purging also helps reduce smoke.

A

·
0 Posts
Put some stuff in the fuel tank to kill Algae.
Might have to clean the fuel tank sending unit screen.
Put a new spin on main fuel filter; fill it with purge, (the new filter) then pull start the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts