Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know why diesel fuel is so damn expensive right now? Diesel fuel should never cost more than unleaded gasoline and it is now higher than premium.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I think there's something about competition with the Mid East or China, not sure, and that the US is making its own, therefore it's becoming more expensive. [?]

Last night I found out I filled up my tank at $2.60/gallon!!! [:0][V] I didn't notice until I got home, because there was a nice Dodge Magnum (the wagon) refuelling on the other side of the pump.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Home heating oil demand/prices, I’ve always heard – diesel fuel and heating oil are very much the same. I used to take joy in the fact that at one time diesel fuel was less than unleaded regular, not any more. Then I was at least thankful that diesel was less than 93 octane, used by my two gassers. Now that’s gone. Now more than high octane I must try to remember that the rate of consumption is less with my diesel. [:(]

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BusyBenz - 3/25/2005 9:55 PM

You should start looking around your area for BIODIESEL B-20 is available to me now and I just paid 2.35 a gallon. The Gov. subsidized biodiesel will drop price again soon to around $2.19 gal.

My 87 300D has never run quieter, or more powerful, since on B-20, as it is higher in cetane levels than dyno diesel. The exhuast smells different too! BB
No biodiesel available in my area...sometime this summer I will have my processor complete so I can make my own biodiesel. For now I'm stuck with petro. I heard something about something used in diesel refining that is being used elsewhere involved with the war and that is why prices are high. I don't buy that because prices were quite low last year when there was a lot more troops stationed there. It just doesn't make sense why diesel should be so expensive. I understand the whole economics of crude oil and that's fine, but diesel is cheaper to refine than gasoline so there's no reason it should cost more.

G

·
0 Posts
jdc1244a - 3/27/2005 10:46 PM

I used to take joy in the fact that at one time diesel fuel was less than unleaded regular, not any more. Then I was at least thankful that diesel was less than 93 octane, used by my two gassers. Now that’s gone. Now more than high octane I must try to remember that the rate of consumption is less with my diesel. [:(]
I have a 80mile commute everyday and
so does my mother-in-law( works at the same
place, but starts 1hr later)
She has a 04 Elantra(2.0L,auto) and
uses $40 of gas every week.
I have a 84 300td(3.0L,auto) and I use
$35 of diesel every week.
This is with valves badly in need of adjustment
and dragging emergency brake.

This is a difference of $5 per week.
Yes not much but I think once my valves
have been adjusted and the brake probs have
been corrected I should have more like a
$10 difference.
Not bad for a 20+ year old car.
Beating out a car 20 years younger.

Louis.

·
Registered
1983 240D auto..soon to run a generator in the country.1984 300D turbo 4 spd
149 Posts
I believe the taxes applied to diesel fuel are primarily directed at the commercial vehicle use. At the end of the year you file a return disclosing the amount of fuel purchased, in which state and whether you were loaded or not loaded at the time. You have to keep a daily log to show how many hours you've driven and your start and end times. Anyway, commercial drivers have a write-off and civilian drivers do not. Basic economic theory will lead most to conclude that the higher fuel price translate into higher produce, product and service prices BECAUSE of the extra taxes to diesel. And yes it is much cheaper to produce than the thinner petro chemicals.

·
Registered
84 300 TDT 232K
46 Posts
FWIW - Another take on the higher prices for diesel; The oil companies are required in 2006 to start selling diesel that matches the lower level of polutants found in Euro diesel. In layman's terms the diesel will move from 500 parts / million of polutants (mainly sulfur) to around 50.

This will cost the Oil boys plenty in order to meet this new refining standard. My guess is that they will follow the true Capitalist path and pass that cost directly onto the consumer - us. Since they have already built/modified their refienries to produce the newer cleaner diesel, they now want to 'recoup' their costs (and that may be more of the reason why diesel is now more expensive than regular gas).
[xx(][B)][:(]

·
Registered
1982 300 CDT
22 Posts
I live in the SouthEastern United States. We saw a price increas immediately after hurricaine Ivan came through, though I'm not sure what that would have to do with it. I think it's on the rise because most of the hummers and bradleys burn diesel.

A

·
0 Posts
i am more than happy to pay the extra cost for diesel if they really are gonna be required to make "schwefelarm" diesel here. super low on sulphor means better combustion, low emmissions (comparatively), and even more economy. (it may cancel the cost out) as far as i know, BP supposedly brews it that way now in the us, but no one else. unfortunately, there's no bp around here, so since i moved out here, i stick to walmart diesel, since with the card its cheap.

I am currently checking into the feasability of becoming the FIRST AND ONLY retailer of bio-diesel in the state of oklahoma. it'd be a "done deal" as far as profit would go. too bad i gotta find an empty gas station to buy, and a bank to front me the cash. (any rich guys out there looking for a sure investment?):) getting the bio up here from houston is the smallest problem.

·
Registered
'84 300 turbodiesel
72 Posts
Thanks to one of you who posted a link to a diesel-users forum, I was able to locate the one and only CITGO Gas station in the Washington DC metro area which retails B20, repeat, B20, for $2.28 per.

My tank was half-empty when filling so I will be driving on B10 equivalent for the next week or so. Thereafter, I will be on B20. For those of you interested, the address is CITGO station on 801 S. Joyce St., Fort Myer, VA 22211. It is behind the Pentagon.

So far, i have noticed different smell but i am awaiting independent confirmation from passengers. No noticable change in performance though. I will keep updating you if anything happens.

yt300D
1984 300D at 182k miles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts