Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello senior forum members,

I am new here and on a quest of discovery and enlightenment. A little background on me is that I work a lot with a mindless job so while i'm standing there doing my menial labor it gives me a lot of time to think, hence where these questions come from. Some of these may be out in left field and other may be right in the ball park. Also of note is that these don't necessarily pertain to just the w124 but also to the w123 as well, the reason being that i haven't purchased one yet. i am currently in the market for one. I am also looking at a WVO conversion for it but thats another story so now onto the meat of my thread.

P.S. I have done some google research before asking as much as i could

1. Has anyone looked into making one of the engines DI as opposed to IDI? I mean I don't think it would be hard to mill out the precombustion chamber and sleeve it to hold DI injectors. what are your thoughts on this?

2. What about pulling the VE or P7100 pumps off of cummins engines and working them onto an OM? has it been done before? both are gear driven bosch pumps so i don't think the swap would be undoable. I've seen on some threads people are bragging about worked over m pumps at like 7-7.5mm plungers while i'm pretty sure the p7100 has an 11mm plunger stock and can be raced out to 16mm i think.

3. Tubular exhaust manifolds? anyone ever talked about these? would improve spool up time, especially on the larger turbos like the holsets and such that i've seen the w12X community seem to enjoy.

4. If i got the 4x4 Labs om617 to gm manual transmission adapter kit (OM617 to GM Manual Transmission | 4×4 Labs) do you think i would be able to get a gm 5 or 6 speed under the body without much cutting and rewelding of the floor and supports and everything? just to try to bump fuel economy with some extra gears and also the possibility of adding a gear vendors overdrive unit for some serious mileage. thoughts?

thats all i got for now but i'm sure more questions will come soon as these questions are answered and i have more time to think

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Holy poop, dude. I think these types of questions are best addressed at a site which caters to this topic. May I suggest www. superturbodiesel .com ? The owner of that site is also a member here. I believe there are lots of folks over there who are quite happy to help you with your quest. I'm certainly no stranger to diesel improvements, but our primary focus here in the 124 section is the preservation and modification of the 124 chassis.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Zeit has the best suggestion. If you want power go with om60x or newer engine. Plenty of tubulars, you can buy them off the shelf even.

I chased down the VE conversion as far as I could, you would have to source the timing interface from a sprinter in which case you can just as easily get the sprinter VE pump. Was a very limited run with the VE pump.

If you get a 60x engine you can just slap on a 5 or spd. Cost of putting an 60x in a w123 about the same as the adapter plate but with more power etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts