Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was over in sweden 2 weeks ago I came across a parking heater in a Saab at the junkyard and grabbed it. I talked the guy at the counter down to just under 100 bucks for the unit and all the stuff to go with it. It was designed to run on gas but I was able to get a copy of the service manual and figured out a way to make it work with diesel, and boy does it work well.

I'll see if I can take some picts of the unit installed in a few days when the weather is a little nicer. The unit gets plummed into the cooling system and has a nice little water pump to move the coolant around, (same as the ones on the 300's) a small fuel pump and timer. It has a 4.7KW output and when I first tried it yeasterday morning with the temp at 32, it took just 22 min to get the car to 80C!!! While it's heating up the engine it also turns on the blower motor on low and defrosts and heats up the interior of the car.

My car does not have a block heat (came from Florida) and I'm not sure it will ever have one.

I know that this was an option from the factory (even saw a hot air type on a 250E? in sweden) anyone else have one?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
No, no need for heaters here – and there was no 250 E. Aren’t those types of heaters hard on the hoses? 22 minutes to get to operating temp? is your t stat working? Might want to consider a proper block heater.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope its not hard on the hoses, thats only the high output electric kind that use convection to heat the cooling system and engine up. This heater has a pump that moves the coolant around, infact the temp of the outlet cannot get above 80C with out the unit shutting off. So its easy on the hosses.

Yep my therm is working fine, when I mean it takes 22 min to get the car up to temp I mean that the engine is not running just the parking heater. So if its very cold out and I need to leave in say 20 min, all I have to do is push the manual start button and the heater fires up, I go inside for a cup of the brown stuff and when its time to leave, the car is up to operating temp, the windows are all defrosted, the inside of the car is hot and then engine will very happily fire up. All this and it only uses 0.65L an hour, so only about .22L or less then half a pint of diesel to get the car hot.

If I wanted to use a regular block heater at say 400w it would take roughly 4.3 hours to get to the same temp, and I know from my older 240's that they never got even close to 60C let alone 80C. All in all I'm very happy with my 150 dollar installed parking heater. Next is the Propane injection, its half done and soon those big hills with not be as scary;)

Oh my mistake about the 250 I had forgotten that there were carbies on the engine and I think they discontinued the 250 before they got around to injecting it.

·
Registered
1982 300sd turbo
267 Posts
put me down for one as its getting a lil chilli here. warm cab, motor heatd in sub zero temps, have heard of ones that use diesel fuel but are way too pricey, good find. n0rt

·
Registered
300CD T
251 Posts
Great find,
I'd love one... just tried out my block heater last night, couldn't feel any warmth at the top of the block this morning so I think I need an alternative like your parking heater!

Cash

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure biodiesel would work, all your really doing it trying to atomize the fuel enough to burn and if it can do it with diesel BD should be fine aswell. I'll be making some in the comming months so i'll be giving it a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts