Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I may get beaten for this post, but please read. I am considering getting 81-84 diesel( 240D, 300D or 300SD)for commuting to work (about 110 km round trip). I spoke yesterday to a mechanic who does only german cars (here, north of Toronto). He said that, for the money, he would not go for an 'old stinky diesel' which may be a good car in a southern climate like California or Arizona, but is not where the winter and salt on the roads make 20 year-old car 'a rusting bucket'. He suggested going for late eighties Audi, like Audi 90. Did anyone have experience with both cars who would share thoughts?<br> Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I used a 1988 Audi 80 manual for 3 years to commute to work about 5 years ago. It is a 65 mile round trip, highway only, avg 80 mph. No problems at all. On the 3 years, other than change oil, gas filter, air filter and timing belt, I had a one side front end axle that was replaced. When sold it was in perfect shape. BTW, no oil leaks.<br> <br> Don't know about the MB diesel, but I think it is also a good choice.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have at present a Audi 80 1.6TD and have in the past owned a few Merc Diesels. Whilst the Mercedes has by far the better build quality and better ride, the Audi returns more Miles Per Gallon. The Mercedes also seems less responsive unless you go for the 250TD with 150BHP. <br> All my Mercedes Diesels have returned an average of 40mpg ('82 200D, '90 190D & '94 C220D) - whilst my '94 Audi 80TD returns around 55mpg although it is a manual. The A4 seems a better car although not quite in the same class as the C-Class.<br> <br> Jay.<br> <br> '61 MB 220SEb coupe<br> '73 MB 230/6 LWB<br> '83 MB 230 CE coupe<br> '94 Audi 80 1.6TD<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The OM612 engine, as fitted to the C270, E270, ML270, G270 and some of the Vito engines, has got to be the sweetest little 5 cylinder engines, I have ever owned.<br> <br> On our ML270, it does over 30mpg around the the city, and over 40 mpg on the highway. Plenty of power and very quite.<br> <br> I suspect that if the ML270 was sold in the USA, it would sell well, on DB readings at 50 MPH, was just as quite as my company Chevvy.<br> <br> Regards<br> <br> Col<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have owed 5 MB Diesels (currently have two) and they can't be beat for durability and milage. The models you mentioned will give you 30 - 32 mpg. The newer models are more complex and have more things to go wrong. If looking at an early 80's vintage I would suggest the 240D. It is slow... top speed of about 80 mph but is bullet proof. There is very little to go wrong with the car because all controls are manual and it is very simple. The 240D is likely the best car MB ever produced. The engine is good for hundreds of thousands of miles and you will get tired of the car long before you wear it out... provided it is maintained properly. The transmission is good for about 160,000 miles or so between rebuilds. You might want to consider a manual 4 speed it you can locate one. One final consideration is that the MB is rear wheel drive whereas the Audi is front wheel drive and more costly and labor intensive to repair. Go for an old Benz, besides, you can pick these up now for a song. I know a guy who recently got a nice clean 81 for 500.00.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear Vadim,<br> <br> I have owned 4 MB Diesels, from the first 1976 240D that I DROVE FOR OVER 600,000 KILOMETRES (that's a pretty good reccomendation all by itself) to the 78 300D that my (many expletives deleted) ex-wife lost to a repair shop for a lousy $465 repair bill (by the way, there was nothing really wrong with the car- the driver's electric window was noisy, so she put it in the shop and then couldn't pay the bill and lost the car to them... and I couldn't do anything about it because of the stone-age mindset of our court system). For the money, I have never found a finer car. The diesel motors just run and run and run. My 2 porsches could outrun them, and I will admit that the ride on my 1993 Lincoln Town Car was just a wee little bit better-- but the Lincoln cost $45,000! I paid only $1,500 for my first 240D in 1980, and I am buying another 1979 300 SD right now for the very same price!<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got a 1984 190D 2.2 with 140K miles on it. The merc mechanic said my engine is in perfect running condition and actually runs quite beautifully compared to other diesels he's had come in. The engine has had NO service other than oil change and air and oil filter change since 90k miles. I did need all the glow plugs replaced... but not engine fault. It is slow, but it's still fun to drive. It's an automatic. And even when I drive it hard in the city I get 30mpg where in my grand cherokee I would get litterally 12 mpg. It's a beast, though I've got some body rust. The engine will definately outlive the body.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I own a 300SD '83. I have put close 55000 on it in the last 3 years. The thing is built solid. <br> <br> It is a bit of a guzzler for a diesel (avg. 27 mpg). Oh bu tthe joy of driving this tank at a 85-90 mph and sticking like glue to the road thanks to its body weight is something else.<br> <br> BUT...and a big butt it is....I live in northern california....the pain of having to make sure that the diesel doesn't gel out and the ten other things one has to do to keep a diesel running in cold conditions is probably not be worth the trouble.<br> <br> I personally would go with a gas in cold weather. Although Benz's is 'medium' on the handling in snow conditions (fish tailing). Audi quattros handle much better, feel a little clunkier but some people like that.<br> <br>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts