Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Fuck you
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got this rattle when coming off idle in gear, mostly when cold, in my 300E-24. It's the M104 (3 liter), same as a '91 300CE in the States. 130,000 miles, 10w-40 synthetic.

Seems valve-train related... I'm starting to think it might be the timing chain tensioner, but not sure how to go about diagnosing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
Fuck you
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you rev the engine in park it sounds fine. but under a load (like pulling from a stop) the noise comes up. the whole vavletrain seems to make the noise, not just one or two vavles. the engine gets good gas milage, makes good power, and doesnt burn any oil (about 1 quart every 10,000 miles).

·
Registered
Fuck you
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no rattle after about 3000. rattle heard under power from idle to about 2500. no rattle at gear changes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I'd just suffer through it. I started running 5w-30 synthetic at 150k miles and it's helped with the clicks and clacks, so, you might try that.

Some of the others may have an alternative diagnosis but it seems probable that your top end is starting to get loose. I hope it's something simple, though. It seems strange to have this problem at 130k miles, doesn't it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts