Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 300GD Beetle tdi
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed wet spots on the bottom of my tank the other day. It is definately diesel. Any suggestions? Will I need a new tank or are there other common problems back there? Leaking lines or such? I heard mention of a plastic tank...are these good/bad?

·
Registered
1990 300GD SWB, 603 Turbo
503 Posts
Jonathan

Had the same thing recently.

Check out this link
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1236228&posts=15

Mark

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts
Jonathan Joseph - 4/1/2006 9:10 PM

Just noticed wet spots on the bottom of my tank the other day. It is definately diesel. Any suggestions? Will I need a new tank or are there other common problems back there? Leaking lines or such? I heard mention of a plastic tank...are these good/bad?
There was a discussion about this here a while back. Try some different search parameters and it should come up.

The plastic tanks are probably very nice. Be prepared to shell out some very high bucks/Euros (?US$2,000+?) to put one in. If it's the tank, you'd do better to get it repaired at a place like this:

http://www.gas-tank.com/

Much cheaper than the plastic tank and probably better than new when repaired.

·
Registered
G Wagen Cabrio 1982
31 Posts
A company in the UK, www.frost.co.uk, states that using their system of 'Marine Clean' to clean deposits then 'Metal Ready' to 'prep' the tank, then 'POR-15' tank sealer to plug leaks and finally 'Fuel Preservative Stabilizer'.

Of course the tank needs to be removed beforehand and they do not mention diesel, refer only to petrol. Cost of the all inclusive kit £44.00. It is not clear whether tank needs to be rotated in all directions at each stage to successfully cover the whole inside, probably so.

Have a look at the website and ask directly if interested. Surely there will be a comparable company in the US

·
Registered
300GD, 190E
50 Posts
I know the feeling, and I know it sucks.

The cheapest way I found to do the expensive repair was to order the tank from my MB dealer and the kit that goes with it (with hoses, clamps, etc.) from a Puch guy who sells on ebay.de. I got a new filling pipe, too.

Installation cost a lot.

Like G's themselves, the new tanks are really nice, if you can afford them.

Repairing the tank may be practical if you're in the US, but you may need the kit if all the other bits are rusty (as mine were).

·
Registered
1990 300GD SWB, 603 Turbo
503 Posts
Check the hoses on top of the tank first before you go pulling your tank out. They are probably rotted and leaking (mine were). This for me would be the first step the easest solution.

Mark

·
Registered
280 ge and 300gd
201 Posts
CHECK THE HOSES AND BREATHER LINES AQNYTHING WHICH RUNS DOWN THE TANK WILL BE NOTICABLE.
CHECK THE FUEL LINES FOR DECAY AND THE FILLER PIPE FOR ROTTEN jUBILEE CLIPS (WORM DRIVES).

IF THE TANK IS DEFECTIVE LOOK FOR RE-NU ON THE WEB AS THIS SYSTEM IS IDEAL.
tHEY SPLIT THE TANK ABRAZE IN OR FIT NEW METAL AND THEN COAT WITH A RESINOUS SOLUTION THE TANK WILL BE BLASTED AND WELDED TOGETHER THE RESULT THEN COATED AND BAKED WITH ASEMI HARD FINISH NOT UNLIKE UNDERSEAL.

YOU GET A FULL GAURENTEE FOR LIFE.

FOR UK OWNERS THE CENTRE USED IS ARROW RADIATORS MELKSHAM TURN ROUND TIME ABOUT 14 DAYS AND COST WAS £320. NOT CHEAP BUT POSSIBLY MORE DURABLE THAN A NEW ONE.
COURIER SERVICE ARRANGED BY THE OPERATOR BOTH WAYS.

IVE NOW HAD A G AND A 124 TANK TREATED AND LIKE THE PRODUCT AND SERVICE
ALSO THEY WILL MOD DRAIN PLUGS AND OTHER FEATURES.

·
Registered
1984 300GD 5 DOOR
130 Posts
G,,day if it is the sender unit o ring ,it is available as genuine part or . 60mm x 4mm 70 duro hardness oring .easy way to find leaks,if hard to see ,degrease and let dry and sprinkle talcum powder to show leaks .hope it helps ,kerry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts