Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 350SD that I am going to to replace the seals on the injection pump. Looks to be a job.

I think it would make things syncronize a little better if I had one of the A-B injection pump position sensors rather than just the lock for the pump. If anyone has one that they have not used for a while and won't use it again, I'd be interested in buying it.

If anyone could explain the injection pump a little, I would also appreciate it. Is there a synronization or tuning or setting process that you can do to it to make it really run great? Or is all of the syncronization done at the injectors?

Since I have it out, it might be a good idea to do what I can with it. I know you have to have a lock in there when you pull it out, so I'm not sure how much tuning work you can do to it when you can't turn it.

I'm not sure I understand the workings of it, but I guess that it sends pulses to keep the timing. I gues they would be electrical pulses, as opposes to pressure pulses?

Anyone that knows diesel, I would appreciate any education that you are willing to dish out.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
It's mechanical direct injection, no electrics involved. When the injection pump builds sufficient pressure the injector opens, the cylinder fires. The injection pump does all the work. Later diesel designs are more sophisticated.

As far as the timing goes I only know you set one cylinder/injector. By design the others are then also in time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts