Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a few clear (They are no longer clear due to age, but I assume they were once clear) plastic/rubber (I am not sure which, since they are now hard and rigid due to age) hoses that I need size clarification on, so I can replace them before they rupture (they already leak a little). The first is a small diameter hose that runs to/from a banjo fitting on the lower portion of the fuel distributor, located behind the hand primer. The second is a slightly larger hose that also connects to banjo fittings located on the fuel distributor. I am also replacing my hand pump, since it leaks and cannot be used (it squirts diesel everywhere when I try to pump fuel with it). I do not have any major leaks (it never hits the ground), but when the engine is running, small droplets form around the barb-flange on the banjo fittings. The banjo fittings are tight and to torque specs, so I would be inclined to assume it is from these ancient hoses. I am including photos. There are a few other threads that deal with fuel hoses in general, but they do not show pictures of where the hoses are on the car. When the hoses are removed and photographed, it is difficult to judge relative size, so I am including photos of them on the engine. If anyone knows the best place to acquire these hoses, please include that information.

Photo key:

Hose 1: Small diameter rubber/plastic hose behind hand-pump
Hose 2: Larger diameter plastic/rubber hose
Hose 3: Cloth covered injector return lines

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,517 Posts
The real skinny one you will have to buy. I no of know replacement for it. It is the Line that supplies the Oil to the Fuel Injection Pump.

The 2 Plastic lines that attach to the Fuel Filter can be replaced with 1/4 inch inside diameter Fuel Hose Hose.

(Remember to be safe as this stuff gets hot.) In order to remove the Plastic Line/tubing I put the Banjo end of the line into my Vice (padded with Aluminum) to hold it and used a Butane Lighter to heat the Plastic where it is stretched over the Banjo Nipple while at the same time pulling firmly on the line with a Pliers. You only want to soften the plastic up enough for it to pull off. If heated too much it will simply melt onto the Nipple and you will have cut it off with a knife.

Ounce you have the Bare Banjo Fittings it is just a matter of cutting the Hose to length and using some Hose Clamps on the ends.
The regular Fuel Hose you get at the local Auto Parts places in the US is also rated for Diesel Fuel.
If you are going to use an alternat Fuel you need to find another type of Hose or simply buy the after market plastic assemblies.

A long time ago I had seen some threads on another forum where they replaced the plastic with other plastic tubings. In order to get the new tubing over the Banjo Nipple the plastic had to be heated and the tube shoved quickly over the Banjo Nipple.
I believe the plastic tubing used was Tygon.

I had to replace my Plastic Lines because I did a Filter Modification (I have a CAT 2 Micron Fuel Filter on my 617.952) and moving the Filter housing about a inch stressed the old plastic line.
The Red Arrow poits to the 1/4 inch Fuel Hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
300Dman: Thanks a lot! That is great info. I will look into this tomorrow. I am going to be replacing my original primer pump with the new model and a new seal this weekend, so I will try to rustle up new hoses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
diesel pipes diameter?

Hi, could I ask, what is the inner diameter of original metal diesel pipes? Mine are rusted under the rubber attaching parts which caused leaks of fuel. I am going to replace pipes with soft cuprum pipes and have two options.

1/use soft cuprum pipes with outer diameter of 8mm and inner 6mm (outer diameter 8mm is original, but i dont know thickens of wall of that original pipes, so I am afrraid of using pipes with thicker walls which will cause in smaller hole for diesel... Could this be a problem?

2/use 10/8mm pipes, which could be usefull if in the future Ill be running on vegetable oil. If I use first option, there will not be problems when connecting rubber hoses with pipes and filter housing etc. I can use hose with inner diameter of 8mm and it will be fine. With second option, I am not sure which diameter of hose is better. To fit 10mm pipe into 8mm hose or put 10mm hose on 8mm filter housing.

Any ideas are greeted. Thanks

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
The real skinny one you will have to buy. I no of know replacement for it. It is the Line that supplies the Oil to the Fuel Injection Pump.
What?

As the OP listed, it's the return line from the injectors.

This is 3.2mm ID hose that you should be able to pick up in bulk (about a foot - foot and a half) at any parts store. If not that size, then the closest equivalent.

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question about these hoses and banjo fittings. When I removed the banjo fittings, there were no copper crush washer gaskets on them. Is there supposed to be? Are they sealed by torque alone? If they do require copper gaskets, what size do they take, I have never seen them for sale in association with any fuel parts, other than the hand-primer.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
There usually are crush washers, two per banjo, either copper or aluminium, as I see in your pics.

The braided return line is 3.2 mm, as mentioned, but you'll need a yard to replace them all.

This is what I get when punch in the number for item 149: Your Parts Search Returned 14 Part(s),

I have measured 12 mm X 16 mm and 14 x 18 mm (item #149) on the fuel lines.

You'll find some here: Your Parts Search Returned 23 Part(s) too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rmac58: Thanks. I will take a look at those parts.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
You're welcome. The earlier pic is from the epc, but it doesn't show two crush washers (seal rings), but this pic does.

All banjo bolts have one on either side of the banjo fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're welcome. The earlier pic is from the epc, but it doesn't show two crush washers (seal rings), but this pic does.

All banjo bolts have one on either side of the banjo fitting.
Thanks. Nice photo. I see you have your fuel filter mount removed, what project are you working on?

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
I picked up a few of those from the junk yard.

Early head units have a crush washer under the fuel filter bolt, the one in the pic is the later version and has two rubber "O" rings on the shank instead of just one and a crush washer. For those that would like an upgrade, I have a few including all crush washers for the banjo bolts.

I believe you have the early version, to check, look at the part number, if you an 01 instead of the 02 underlined, you have a crush washer under the fuel filter bolt.

If interested, PM me.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 240D 4 Speed 223K now with GreaseCar
348 Posts
Hello, does anyone have a measurement for part# 164 in the above attachment? I seem to have destoryed mine.

Thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts