Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on haralds or someone web page that there was a 01 v8 twin turbo diesel made. I think it was called the G400. Anyway i have searched and cant come with the info i saw. Does anyone know about this and if so how well where they mad and who could import one?

For some reason i thought about checking into this. Maybe see if i can buy one of those and then trade my usa G in on a car for the wife.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Are you thinking of the 400CDI?

I'm not sure it quite fits your description, but it's the only "400" diesel G I know of. If you're curious about that one, search the list for "400CDI" and you'll find lots.

Concesus seems to be the fuel system is iffy at best even on euro-diesel and that the swill served over here whould take it out of comission pretty quick. But maybe my memories are off.

Thomas H used to own one but got fed up and and traded it for a G500, if I remember right.

But then, you may be referring to a competely different vehicle.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
RE: Are you thinking of the 400CDI?

people have definitely complained about the g400... Rafa in south america has had a bunch of trouble with his too... maybe part of that was from the same early run issues associated with the new interior... but i remember TH mentioning the fuel system issues which are unique...

I'd go for a 98 G300DT. You get a good reliable reasonably powered Turbo Diesel that'll run on anything, and you expecially (kerr) get out from under all the electronics issues associated with larger tire size.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sure ill just keep what i have. I thought if i might be able to find one in good shape with low miles and a good price that it would be a blast to own a diesel 5 speed. I thought i read they made them in twin turbo v8's however i have not been able to find that web page again.

If i was to keep looking in to this i would have to go thought europia or the kisermotors wouldnt i ?

·
Registered
G400 CDI 10/2003
68 Posts
I am very satisfied with my G400 CDI. It has more torque than the G500 and also you can use better the engine as brake on steep descents.

The only thing is that I am in Romania and in Europe in general we don't have a problem finding the right fuel for it.

Christian

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
G400 CDI

Back in September 2004 Four Wheeler magazine was able to get their hands on a silver 2004 G55 and G400 CDI for review. In the article they criticized the G55 for having a 4wd system it didn't need and praised the G400 CDI for having all the elements of a perfect package. They made it well known that they were wishing and lusting over a G400 CDI, which MB was not willing to bring to the USA.

I'm assuming the G400 CDI that was "smuggled" for the USA review came in unfederalized. I say that because it was missing the front side orange reflectors and the rear red reflectors.

versus Sweden version:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts