Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300E
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im pretty sure it will work, but i just want to be 100 % sure bout this, the '90-'93 300D 2.5 passenger side fender, (the ones with the vents/grilles on the side) will fit my car. a 1991 300E w124? yes or no, is it direct bolt on with no issues, please post and let me know i have to order soon.

thanks

Attachments

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
The question is, why a fender for the diesel on a gas car??

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
I would say because those vents are bad ass!!

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300E
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also because i need a new fender, and i will be running a twin turbo setup in the future, they are used as vents for the tubo to cool it down, as well as getting fresh air into the engine bay

one more thing, i looked in the engine bay, it looks like my windshild washer fluid will be right behind the vents, is this how the setup is on the diesels, or hasw the washer tank been relocated on the diesels. it doesent look like direct airflow to where the turbos would be because of the washer and coolent tank. what do you think?

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD Myna 7mm pump and HX30 /'89 Vanagon TDI 12mm pump and GT2052
52,235 Posts
Diesels have the washer tank on the left side of the engine compartment. The vents are for the intake on the air cleaner, which sits to the rear of that location. I suspect that the gasser chassis may require that a large hole be opened up on the other side of the vent (in the body) in order to gain any advantage.

Another (possibly better) option for your purposes, would be to locate the vented panels that fit under the headlights on some 500E models. I assume these are intended to draw air directly into the engine compartment, for cooling purposes.

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
pyro_la said:
also because i need a new fender, and i will be running a twin turbo setup in the future, they are used as vents for the tubo to cool it down, as well as getting fresh air into the engine bay
I was actually considering the same thing, and would agree at adding air to the engine compartment, but possibly ineffective at removing hot air.
It wouldn't hurt !!!!

Also looking at installing flush mounted 1980's era Camaro side vents backwards toward the rear edge of the hood.
Sort of a rectangular NACA style.
These would probably extract the hot air more efficiently as they would sit on top of the turbo.

The turbos on the TurboTechnics kit sit higher then most turbos due to the design of the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
[QUOTE='91 300CE]I would say because those vents are bad ass!![/QUOTE]

x2

They are very hard to find, I called every scrap yard in my area, nobody has a diesel anywhere.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300E
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can anyone post a pic of a diesel motor compartment, so i can get an idea how it is,

also what of these 500E air intakes below the lights, ive never seen this before, anyone with info please post, as this is new to me and im interested in them possibly. pictures of this would be ,mint if anyone have them...

as for getting the fender, i believe the dealer wants 300 dollers for it canadian. 1 week out of germany...

·
Registered
83 300SD(w126), 87 300D (W124)
290 Posts
I dont think any 500E/E500's came with the vents under the headlights oem. I think it was just a mod from the guys on these forums.

Anyway here is the link to 2phasts site, i believe he hangs out in the shopforum.

Rik Johnsons W124.036

on the side menu click on "performance upgrades"

and scroll down until you get to "Air Intake Panel Modification - 5/25/06"

And go get your read on!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts