Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
´85 300D Estate, Unimog 411
115 Posts
The engine doesnt stop for a few minutes when the key is shut off. Also the brakes are mushy. The doors lock.

Any idea what is wrong?
VAcuum, maybe the main hose is broken or has a leak,

Check the hose that goes to the brake system, in my case it was broken near the vacuum pump on the engine.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Agreed, if you have a vacuum gauge, hook it up to each nipple and blocking the other one, you should get ~23 inHg on one and ~15 on the other.
For a 240 or 300D.

·
Registered
1981 300 C D Bot with 14K miles.
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thinking about changing all the hoses

Thank you very much for your reply.

The car is a 300CD 1981 that hasn't been driven in 2 years. Very Very low mileage. Bought the car on Thursday.

Thinking about going in to a local MB only shop and saying change all the hoses. About how much for that? :)

·
Registered
1984 300TDt
265 Posts
problems with your $11k car already? you should be able to afford the vacuum fix if you can afford 11k on a 81 MB.

·
Registered
1967 300
494 Posts
problems with your $11k car already? you should be able to afford the vacuum fix if you can afford 11k on a 81 MB.
They say sarcasm is lost in text. That came off very rudely.

Vacuum. Do a search for vacuum issues. Go to autozone and buy a mityvac. They have them normally on the lower shelves.

Do a search for the w123 vacuum interlock diagram and T- off the vacuum lines to the locking system. See if the car will shut off. If it does, then your issue is with the door locks.

In my case, the plunger for the front passenger door had a tear in the rubber (probably from me playing with it as a little kid :eek: ). I ended up having to replace the entire thing because I couldn't find a new rubber plunger.

And post pics of this 11k car :p

·
Registered
1978 W123 300D, 1986 S124 250TD, 1987 W124 300D-T, 1965 W108 250SE, 114 280C, W126 300SDL,W123 300CD
83 Posts
in my case it was broken near the vacuum pump on the engine.
same as mine.

try to remember the last thing that you did.

check the headlamp vacuum, brake booster, ignition tumbler, shut off valve and other connections. if everything's fine then chances are its the shut off valve diaphragm. that you have to replace

·
Registered
5 Posts
YO Bull, I bought a 300D that did the same thing; I fixed it by checking the lines running to the booster and those that run onlong the oil filter casing;this worked for me,and it also fixed my door locks.

·
Registered
1981 300 C D Bot with 14K miles.
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After my car arrives from Seattle...

thinking about hooking up my wife's Dyson Tornado vacuum cleaner to the Benz.

It seems that will solve every problem known to man.

·
Registered
1981 300D with a funny tranny
965 Posts
thinking about hooking up my wife's Dyson Tornado vacuum cleaner to the Benz.

It seems that will solve every problem known to man.
you will need a very long extension cord!

:p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts