Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, had a diesel leak in my TD300 (the end plug cap for the injectors blew open). I'm not sure how long it's been like this, but I did notice a lot of "wetness" this long weekend, and finally found the culprit.

How long would it take for that spritzing diesel to corrode important components in the engine bay? Should I be worried? How thoroughly should I inspect everything? THANKS!

Connor

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
28 Posts
Just wash it down with dish soap and hot water or use the wand at a local car wash to wash the engine down. Don't get your electrical wet.
Drive it around and after it's dry check for mushy rubber parts. Check after a few days for leaking hoses. The metal and most plastics won't be hurt.
Don't use a "purple" degreasing cleaner from the autoparts or home imp store as it will corrode the outside of aluminum making it look white and rough. Dish soap or the car wash is fine.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,001 Posts
Diesel fuel is actually corrosion -protectant , but you still might not like it on top of the engine.
Strong spray of water on warm engine always worked for me to keep my engines clean.
You don't have electronics on your engine head, so no restriction. I don't hesitate to wash alternators and even give light shower to modules box.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,059 Posts
Rubber Parts that need checking. The Oil Cooler Hoses. If they are seeping any oil at all replace them. If the Motor Mount on the side the Oil Cooler Hoses are on is old and used enough to collapse it is possible for the Power Steering Pump Belt to cut into the Oil Cooler Hose.
If the rear Transmission Seal leaks it softens the transmission mount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts