Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the G world, I see that Europa had no diesels imported after 86. Is any other way possible to get a diesel. Thinking of fuel economy, also were those older diesels really dependable? The new diesels must be desired by some in this community? What type of milage are people getting with their G's?
Thanks

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
people may chime in, but you can do a search on mileage for gas and deisel... discussed in the same thread. AlanMcR got Keiser Motors in the S.F. bay area (san jose or santa clara maybe) to import a mid 90's model for him. He really likes it... i'd love a 98 SWB cab for conversion to SVO for a little around town fun/parking.

Check Clubgwagen for sale trucks...

·
Registered
1987 300GD, 1987 300TD, 1991 300TE, 1992 300TE 4M, 1968 Citroen AK250, 1991 VW Syncro Camper
494 Posts
The 463 diesels in the states are very expensive. There is one on the Clubgwagen bulletin board now. It is much more expensive than a newer (199:cool: G500. As much as I love a diesel, I could not justify the added expense. It is unfortunate the federalization adds so much to the cost. In Europe, the diesels are much more common and much less expensive.

This all said, I am selling my 1999 G500 to buy a 460 300GD. What do I need with that 300HP G500 when I could have a 88HP 300GD? OK torque makes up some of the difference but still you have to love a diesel for the fact of what it is rather than the speed. Unless you get into the 400 CDI etc which has not gotten rave reviews here (and is not available in the states anyway).

The older 300GDs were famous for their durability as are most of the older MB diesels. The newer ones fare less well according to some. the alloy head diesels are supposedly more fragile and the 250D engine suffered from some design flaws. There was a post here not too long ago about the 600 series diesels. Check out the diesel forums on benzworld to get a feel about these engines.

Good luck! If you find a 460 series 300GD for sale let me know - I am in a hurry to slow down!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts