Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560sec
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1988 560sec will sometime die at idle. It starts great runs smooth, but occasionally, when I come to a stop, it will die. Then it appears to be flooded and needs a couple minutes to sit till it will start again. I am planing on replacing the fuel injectors. Any other suggestions?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,603 Posts
I don't think I'd go straight to fuel injectors just yet.

Agreed about the fuel pump relay. Make a jumper so that the next time it happens, you can pull the FPR and install your jumper between pins 7 and 8. That forces the fuel pumps run full time.

I'd also check the fuel pump relay connection at the positive terminal of the battery. It's that little wire bolted to the terminal. Take it off, clean thoroughly and reinstall.

Can also be the EZL. Does this happen when the car is warm? I've heard you can try cooling down the EZL to see if that helps. Use a bag of ice or something. This is the unit bolted to the inner fender near the back of the left headlight.

·
Registered
1988 560sec
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I'd go straight to fuel injectors just yet.

Agreed about the fuel pump relay. Make a jumper so that the next time it happens, you can pull the FPR and install your jumper between pins 7 and 8. That forces the fuel pumps run full time.

I'd also check the fuel pump relay connection at the positive terminal of the battery. It's that little wire bolted to the terminal. Take it off, clean thoroughly and reinstall.

Can also be the EZL. Does this happen when the car is warm? I've heard you can try cooling down the EZL to see if that helps. Use a bag of ice or something. This is the unit bolted to the inner fender near the back of the left headlight.
thanks I will take a look into it.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
380 Posts
good advice from somebody's previous post somewhere. Don't throw money at a fix; take time to see what it might be. Also search for tips on what might be wrong on the community site.

I had the same symptoms, die at idle or comng to a stop. it eventually got worse until I replaced the idle air control valve, which fixed it.

You have a Gen II model which I think you has the KE-Jetronic system. Don't mess with it if you think that might be the problem until you read the several posts and tutorial by H.D. on KE-Jetronic in this forum's community.

good luck. coasting to a stop with no power is not fun.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,556 Posts
Ya know, I had this when my EHA leaked. Though, for me, once my engine stopped at a red light the first time, I stopped driving the car.

I also smelled gasoline from the engine when I turned the car off. I thought it was the fuel injectors. Even bought some. Then, the day I went to install the injectors, I looked at the EHA and saw it leaking gas.

·
Registered
1981 300SD, 1976 300D
949 Posts
IAC (Idle air control valve) or leak at the EHA would be my wild guesses.

Reactions: isthenew
1 - 8 of 8 Posts