Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to pick up my SLK a couple of months ago, one of the pieces of paper they had me sign was an Export Policy and Agreement letter. Basically, it states that if I export the car from the U.S. within 12 months, I am (supposedly) bound to pay the dealer $10,000 in penalties and charges. The blurb was on a simple yellow page, with no reference to Mercedes-Benz at all.

My dilema is that I am now planning to move to France within 6 months, and naturally want to ship the SLK as well as my household goods. The last thing I want to pay is an extra $10K for a car that I paid cash for. I was initally planning to just ship the car to France and assume the dealer wouldn't be any the wiser, but with GPS, I guess MB know exactly where every car is in the world. I don't think I could convince anyone at MB that the Tele Aid system was faulty if the car was being tracked roaming the streets of France instead of Palm Springs, U.S.A.!

I was wondering ...... did anyone else (in the U.S. or U.K.) have to sign a similar agreement? Also, I'd appreciate any opinions on whether this document is legally binding, or if anyone can recommend any alternatives which would allow me to avoid paying this penalty.

Thanks.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Go talk with your dealer. I don't remember signing this piece of paper...would have to look and my docs are they are in my safety deposit box at the bank.

However, I don't think the paper you signed was meant to stop the car from accompanying you if you moved out of the country but rather meant to stop someone from purchasing cars here and then selling them abroad at a higher price, thus cutting into those dealer's markets. We have heard our Australian friends complain that they pay as much for a 350 as we do for a 55. I have a feeling if you tell your dealer you are moving and the car is going with you, all will be ok.

·
Registered
'08 SLK 280
133 Posts
I agree with malibuite. Plus, your dealer would not be privileged to the GPS inforamtion sent to MB. In other words, MB gets the GPS info, not your dealer.

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
I think you will find that the Export agreement only applies if you are selling the car to a European resident trying to beat the high prices in Europe. If you export it to yourself you should be okay.

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input guys. However, when I read the paper again, it does infact say " .....MBUSA, Inc. imposes certain penalties, charges and related costs against the original retailer which sold or leased the exported vehicle." (Apparently, by signing, I also agreed that the vehicle is intended solely for use within North America and that it would not be exported directly or indirectly outside N.A.)

I can understand why MB would want to prevent people from re-exporting the car to, say, Brasil, where it could be resold at twice the price. However, if I call MBUSA customer service (or the dealer), I'm pretty sure that once they know my circumstances, it'll be O.K. for me to ship the car to France as long as I sign a waiver which states that I agree not to resell the car within a year of purchase. Strange that I seem to be the only one who had to sign this paper with the dealer.

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
malibuite - 5/13/2005 1:10 PM
We have heard our Australian friends complain that they pay as much for a 350 as we do for a 55.
G'day Malibuite,

It's worse than that! A basic 200K with no options is A$86,900. At the current exchange rate, that's US$67,147, which from looking at the MBUSA web site will buy you a 55 with almost all the options! [:(]

Cheers,
----Julian

·
Registered
SLK350
232 Posts
I've noticed that it is a piece of paper typed up by the dealer and it does not have the MB seal of approval - not even the dealer's letterhead. However, it is pretty sure that the directive comes from MB which does not necessarily want any legal tangle in general. From the dealer's standpoint, they care or less. My guess is that if you take your car somewhere and don't ask, don't tell, it may be just fine.

However, if someone starts exporting cars in the massive, then MB may start getting involved because they will definitely lose money if people in other countries start buying from private dealers here.

By the time they track you down, the 1 year agreement won't be valid anymore. In Europa, I guess people cross borders between countries by the minute. Very likely that your car won't show up on their radar screen at all since MB is not actively looking MB cars.

Tele-aid won't work until you pay and register over there I think.

·
Registered
SLK350
232 Posts
This actually brings up something interesting. 10-15 years back I know some people who will purchase expensive cars, disassemble them, ship the components oversees and then put them back together. In this case, they are not exporting and/or importing cars. They don't pay heavy vehicle import taxes because they are just shipping parts.

Wonder if this sort of things still going on with something like MB cars.

·
Registered
slk 350
30 Posts
i bought mine in MD a few weeks ago and DID have to sign the export policy agreement. given i'm not going anywhere ([^]) i didn't give it too much thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi

i buy 2015 s 550 i wanna ship to dubai but i sign non export aggrement with fees $9500

how i can export my car with out i pay MB fees

any body help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts