Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 ML320, 05 ML350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good bye $20 PepBoys blade replacements.
Hello $200 OEM replacements. [:(!] [xx(]

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
My Self - 5/1/2005 9:15 PM

They are very well engineered, it seems--

"Windscreen wipers from the wind tunnel

The windscreen wipers of the new M-Class were also developed in the wind tunnel: they are known as aero-wipers. Instead of the articulated retention system used for conventional wiper blades, in which the rubber blades are claw-mounted, the aero wiper consists of a one-piece rubber section with an integral spoiler and externally mounted spring rails; these precisely follow the curve of the windscreen. The spring rails ensure an even distribution of wiper pressure along the entire length of the wiper blade, so that it always operates with the greatest possible contact pressure. The result is significantly better wiping quality, even in heavy snow. Dispensing with the conventional claw-mounted system, which is prone to icing in winter conditions, reduces the overall height of the wiper blade by almost half. This produces a noticeable reduction in windscreen wiper noise.

The new M-Class is equipped with an efficient two-arm wiper system with special kinematics: while the driver’s-side wiper arm moves around a fixed axis, its counterpart on the passenger side executes an additional lifting movement to wipe an even larger area of the windscreen. This provides the driver with optimal visibility. A rain sensor is standard equipment in the Off-Roader."

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
My Self - 5/1/2005 9:15 PM
PepBoys doesn't carry them yet? Look in the Bosch wiper section and maybe ask the manager to stock them for you. They are also available now as an aftermarket upgrade, see instructions on the page below. And as Greg said, well engineered. Bosch/MB received several awards already.

====> <a href="http://aa.bosch.de/advastaboschaa/Product.jsp?publication=1&prod_id=59&flash=&ccat_id=24&&language=en-GB"> more</a>

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well engineered is a key word.

How many awards does Lexus, Acura, and Infinity got after they figured out that they could dress up their Toyota, Honda and Nissan and sell them as luxury cars in the US. These brands are non existing in Europe (well Lexus is trying, but not very successfull) and for good reasons.

When people are complaning about the price and comparing the new ML to a Lexus RX 330, please try to remember the key word "Well engineered" and start comparing the new ML up against Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5 and VW Tuareg.

[;)]

·
Registered
'12 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 (sorry!)
397 Posts
Hi,

Well, USD20 seems a bit too much for "unauthorized" replacement wipers. I spent last winter with a set of noisy, but otherwise excellent units from a hard discount store - the pair was THREE euros, and in spite of no air spoilers, they showed no tendency to lift off, even at 110 mph+.

Currently, my W163 is sporting W164-style wipers from Valeo (see the galleries when they get back online). excellent quality, and at 45 euros the pair not more expensive than having the OEM.

I'm certain that there is already cheaper OEM-replacement wipers on the market. After all, MB is late in adapting this wiper style.

Cheers,
Birger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts