Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Mike,

I thought about PM'ng you, but I thought the rest of the forum will benefit from your responses being made public.

----------------------------------------------
If the answer is that you are not on the stock radio + speakers, please don't bother with the rest of this post.

If you are on stock COMMAND and speakers... I have a few questions!

How is the subwoofer wired?
Where is it located in the car?
Did you have to remove the old subwoofer?
How do you feel about the quality of the product?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi Mike,

I thought about PM'ng you, but I thought the rest of the forum will benefit from your responses being made public.

----------------------------------------------
If the answer is that you are not on the stock radio + speakers, please don't bother with the rest of this post.

If you are on stock COMMAND and speakers... I have a few questions!

How is the subwoofer wired?
Where is it located in the car?
Did you have to remove the old subwoofer?
How do you feel about the quality of the product?
I am on the stock system. It's the best sounding, cleanest audio system I've ever heard, it just needed a little help with some punch at the bottom.

The unit is wired by picking up power, ground and the stock rear speaker inputs from the Bose amp wire harness in the trunk. Remove the liner on the left side and you can access the harness that services the amp. It's a big fat SOB that's impossible to miss. It comes in from the left and connects to the silver Bose amp.

Liner removal: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1395551-removing-trunk-liner.html

Disconnect the harness (it snaps in and out) to get better access. I used wire splices from Radio Shack http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104093that let me tap into the harness wires without cutting them.

Color Codes (The ones in red are all you need)

1. BROWN (big wire): Chassis Ground To BassLink Ground Terminal
2. RED with VIOLET strip (big wire): 12 Volt Ignition/Acc To BassLink Battery Terminal
3. BLUE with WHITE strip: Amp Turn-On (Remote) (Optional, to Basslink Remote Terminal, or omit and set Basslink to auto power sensing.)

INPUTS (from Headunit to Amplifier) - 8 THIN wires:

4. GREEN: + Left Front (input)
5. BROWN with GREEN strip: - Left Front (input)

6. ORANGE: + Right Front (input)
7. BROWN with ORANGE strip: - Right Front (input)

8. PINK: + Left Rear (input)
9. BROWN with PINK strip: - Left Rear (input)

10. WHITE: + Right Rear (input)
11. BROWN with WHITE strip: - Right Rear (input)

OUTPUTS (from Amplifier to Speakers) - 10 THICK wires:

12. GREEN: + Left Speaker and Tweeter in the Front side of the door (output)
13. BROWN with GREEN strip: - Left Speaker and Tweeter in the Front side of the door (output)

14. ORANGE: + Right Speaker and Tweeter in the Front side of the door (output)
15. BROWN with ORANGE strip: - Right Speaker and Tweeter in the Front side of the door (output)

16. PINK: + Left Speaker in the Back side of the door (output)
17. BROWN with PINK strip: - Left Speaker in the Back side of the door (output)

18. WHITE: + Right Speaker in the Back side of the door (output)
19. BROWN with WHITE strip: - Right Speaker in the Back side of the door (output) To respective rear speaker level input connection Basslink.

20. GRAY: + Left Speaker(subwoofer) in the rear deck (output)
21. BROWN with GRAY strip: - Left Speaker(subwoofer) in the rear deck (output)

22. VIOLET: + Right Speaker(subwoofer) in the rear deck (output)
23. BROWN with VIOLET strip: - Right Speaker(subwoofer) in the rear deck (output)

You need a lead for power, and one for ground. The Basslink comes with a snap in connector for speaker-level connections. I spliced it in to the left rear and right rear speaker leads. The Basslink has an internal crossover so giving it a full range signal isn't a problem, and it gives you more flexibility in tuning the sub. (You could also try 22. and 23. to pick up just the stock sub signal) It also has a power sensing option that turns the amp off when the car is off, which saves draining the battery.

I didn't touch the factory "sub", although it's really more a mid-woofer. I have the Basslink crossed over very low, and the gain and boost very high, to just reinforce the bass drum and give the system some punch. It's loud as hell in the trunk and just right in the cabin.

I'm very happy with the Basslink. Well built, lots of good features (speaker level inputs, power sensing) and plenty of power.

That's it. Mine lives in the left back corner of the trunk with the passive radiator side against the rear wall and the wiring coming in from the seam between the left side liner and the back wall. I used self tapping screws to mount it to the trunk floor liner.

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This.
I've waited years for this.

Check the forums...a sub that works with our car without doing extensive mods or sounding awful did not appear until you came along and found it.

What a happy day!

Sky, I'm going down your neighborhood and I'm blasting Taylor Swift as loud as I can!
-after I install this of course.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
OK, Gabby - just be sure you drive fast enuf to outrun the shotgun blast. :D

If you or Mike do get near here, I hope you'll stop by. Would love to see and hear the installations.

BTW - while some folks criticize SRS Labs' Sound Recovery System, see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1653757-neat-music-enhancement-app.html

As I have used it, the software has been easier and easier - and bass response is much better, with a wider sound field and enhanced highs (for my old pilot's ears and high-end hearing loss). Because SRS gave NO useful instructions on using the software and did not respond to my request for help, it took a while to figure it out - but I did, and now it is pretty simple.

My wife, BTW, is a Baltimore gal. We lived there for 12 years. Photo of the house below.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
OK, Gabby - just be sure you drive fast enuf to outrun the shotgun blast. :D

If you or Mike do get near here, I hope you'll stop by. Would love to see and hear the installations.

BTW - while some folks criticize SRS Labs' Sound Recovery System, see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1653757-neat-music-enhancement-app.html

As I have used it, the software has been easier and easier - and bass response is much better, with a wider sound field and enhanced highs (for my old pilot's ears and high-end hearing loss). Because SRS gave NO useful instructions on using the software and did not respond to my request for help, it took a while to figure it out - but I did, and now it is pretty simple.

My wife, BTW, is a Baltimore gal. We lived there for 12 years. Photo of the house below.
I actually just picked up that SRS app, having seen your reference to it in another thread. I'm still fiddling with it. I like having the 10 band EQ, although I haven't found a setting that sounds good across all my music yet.

I also like being able to create custom SRS soundfields, and the little built-in A/B test sequence that builds the SRS for you. Again, no luck with a universal setting, but for $6 I can't complain. The ability to crossfade between tracks is nice.

Unfortunately, it can't apply itself to streaming sources, and about a third of my iPod library is on the Cloud. I also listen to Pandora a lot, and that could really use the ability to apply EQ.

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the SRS App Recco!

This will fit the master plan nicely...Ipad integration while looking like it came out of the factory like that.

Incorporating an iPad and making the COMMAND area look like stock using carved Burl Walnut is more frustrating than you might think. That wood will crack and warp if you look at it funny and finding the right color one is a lesson in Zen patience and eBay kung fu.

Love the house! It looks like the Roland Park area in the spring. I was actually thinking of stopping by Tampa the last two times I went to Orlando and visit that great steakhouse there with the ridiculously comprehensive wine list. Bern's, I think was the name, but then I remembered you had guns and I'm not as fast in a rental car, so plan fail!

Anyway, thank you again as always! This is a great forum and that's in no small part thanks to you... and OliverK (he keeps the riff raff in check).

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
I was actually thinking of stopping by Tampa the last two times I went to Orlando and visit that great steakhouse there with the ridiculously comprehensive wine list. Bern's, I think was the name, but then I remembered you had guns and I'm not as fast in a rental car, so plan fail!
Yes, it is Bern's - rated by some as among the top 10 steak houses in the country. There's a lunch place by the same folks, next to it - called Side Bern's. No joke.

You're pretty safe even in a rental car. My shotgun is a flintlock, and it is close to 200 years old. But then, I have a 16th Century Spanish brass swivel cannon. However, I don't have any cannon balls for it, and would probably just have to swing it at someone. :p

Somehow, I have to get this back to speakers - or at least to music. Got it - I can fire the cannon to the 1812 overture!!

Sorry for the hijack, Mike - and thanks for posting the solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Okie dokie.
Installed this bad boy and as much as I wanted to do a loud drive by Skylaw's neighborhood, this speaker sounds like an upgraded stock woofer. It really mixes well with the rest of the stock W220 sound and gives a nice, tight response.

For those looking for butt shaking bass, unless you install it in the cabin somehow, this is not your cup of tea. What it does is compliment our stock woofer and add another layer of complexity to the sound.

I like it, and I would recommend it to anyone, but I looked all over the trunk for a space to "hide" this thing. I like the stock look and space of the trunk. There isn't a place to permanently install this 12x4x12 object without giving up room in the trunk. I decided to put the woofer on a "leash" which is basically 4ft of extra cable (in braided cable wrap up of course) so that I can move the woofer as I need to depending on luggage needs.
That seems to work for me, but anyone else that doesn't mind giving up room, feel free to buckle this down anywhere in the trunk.

As an odd side comment; listening to NPR with Bass is a little weird. Not bad, but definitely weird, especially when they did this Golden Age of Radio, Gentleman Cowboy skit, whenever the cello/string parts go on to indicate a scene change, I felt an odd other presence in the car. Like I said, odd, and is most likely me being a weirdo.

Shout out to Mike for reccomending this and giving out a nice set of instructions! This has been years in the making and the wait was worth it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Okie dokie.
Installed this bad boy and as much as I wanted to do a loud drive by Skylaw's neighborhood, this speaker sounds like an upgraded stock woofer. It really mixes well with the rest of the stock W220 sound and gives a nice, tight response.

For those looking for butt shaking bass, unless you install it in the cabin somehow, this is not your cup of tea. What it does is compliment our stock woofer and add another layer of complexity to the sound.

I like it, and I would recommend it to anyone, but I looked all over the trunk for a space to "hide" this thing. I like the stock look and space of the trunk. There isn't a place to permanently install this 12x4x12 object without giving up room in the trunk. I decided to put the woofer on a "leash" which is basically 4ft of extra cable (in braided cable wrap up of course) so that I can move the woofer as I need to depending on luggage needs.
That seems to work for me, but anyone else that doesn't mind giving up room, feel free to buckle this down anywhere in the trunk.

As an odd side comment; listening to NPR with Bass is a little weird. Not bad, but definitely weird, especially when they did this Golden Age of Radio, Gentleman Cowboy skit, whenever the cello/string parts go on to indicate a scene change, I felt an odd other presence in the car. Like I said, odd, and is most likely me being a weirdo.

Shout out to Mike for reccomending this and giving out a nice set of instructions! This has been years in the making and the wait was worth it.
Awesome. I should have mentioned that the unit mounts either horizontally or vertically in the same set of brackets, Stand that guy up so he's only taking up 4" of real estate, and then push him back as far as you can, so it's aimed at the back seat, with the controls facing out (for access). That will give you more punch without sounding boomy. Set horizontally, there's not enough air under the passive radiator, and the active driver is aimed at the the underside of the deck lid.

For my taste, I have the HU bass and treble on full, surround for the sound setting. On the Basslink I'm at full gain, 1/4 bass boost and crossover just a notch above 60hz. Phase is set to normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts