Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 S500 4Matic, 2018 Ford Expedition Max, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace S, 2016 BMW 750i
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You would need to in order to renew the front suspension. Special ball joint puller, Mercedes spring compressor, bushing press, etc. My 560 is starting to creak when stopping and it's getting louder every week. It is a typical bushing failure sound.

I think I have the ability to do it myself if it weren't for investing in $1000 of special tools. The parts will cost enough, and I don't plan on doing this on the weekend for a living.

For those of you who did a suspension rebuild yourself, did you rent, borrow or buy your tools? For those who had it done, how much was the bill?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Renting is the only reasonable way to go about this. If you have a Murray's somewhere around you go there. Beats spending the money on buying these tools.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Yes, you need the correct tools..most notably the spring compressor and ball joint press. Otherwise the job becomes VERY difficult and dangerous to boot.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
2004 S500 4Matic, 2018 Ford Expedition Max, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace S, 2016 BMW 750i
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any tool rental places in your area?
There are several, I have dismissed them as yard equipment and Bobcat depots, but I may be wrong.

The only tool I want to buy is the Klann spring compressor to ensure that it hasn't been abused and the thread is always lubricated.

The Pindelski website is very helpful for understanding the Mercedes suspension. He has found some tools that work the same as the special German tools at a fraction of the price. Still, if I can rent instead of buy I would prefer it.

Hopefully the upper control arm bushings and ball joint are OK. It is a tough to access those retaining bolts and then reinstall it to line up the holes.

The thing I won't skimp on is the parts - Mercedes OE all the way. I'll have to get a price on all the bushings and ball joints.

If there are any words of experience, feel free to share them!

Thanks guys-

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,467 Posts
The Snap-on spring compressor, like this one on ebay - 150254692557, works great. This one looks like the Snap-on unit and it's only $60.
I've used the MB compressor and they're great too, plus there are several on ebay for under $200.

Like you said, grease the center screw shaft for EVERY compression.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts