Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...im just wondering how most people go about their MB purchases. How does one decide between buying it outright, financing or leasing.

I guess the focus really is on the difference between financing payments v.s leasing. Both have their pros and cons. How was your decision made?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am geeting one with balloon payment option - It is just like a lease but you have to buy at the end of the term. (the rate is finance rate, so it is cheaper on interest as well)

I do more than 30,000 Km/ per Yr. I cannot lease it.

·
Registered
'08 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
116 Posts
Financed it for 4 years at a very low interest rate:D

I planned to keep the car for at least 6 years which made me decide to purchase it and I also had plans of modding it

·
Registered
2012 GLK350W4, 2006 E350, 1968 250SL
250 Posts
This is a common dilemma... it comes down to what YOU need, how YOU live with your car, how you use it, how long you normally keep cars.

I've written a number of blog articles about this topic... here's a piece of one of them, just my opinion of course, based on what I see every day at work:

"If you like to change cars frequently, every two, three or four years, leasing a Mercedes-Benz is the ONLY smart way to go. All you have to do is look at the row of Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz vehicles we have in stock. A 2007 E class 4matic sedan with just over 30,000 miles is priced at just a bit more than half of its original cost. Now imagine if you owned that car, financed it for 60 or 72 months and wanted to get rid of it after two or three years… you’d be thousands of dollars upside down."

Here is a link to one of these articles, mostly about leasing. At the bottom of that article are two other links to other lease vs. purchase articles.

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 6 Speed; 2008 E350 4MATIC Sport
955 Posts
I plan to keep it a long time, therefore bought it outright to avoid all money costs, whether financing or lease. I already signed up for lower resale with a manual transmission, but I will have much more fun during the next decade, well worth it and more! Recall, most taxi cabs in Germany are MBs...these cars are durable!

If you are in this for the fashion of the moment, or suffer from easy boredom, you may be happier with leasing so you can easily jump to the next fad design in two or three years. Your costs will be higher overall for that privilege. If you are going to buy, pay as much as you can and finance as little as necessary.

Owning for a long time will be an overall lower expenditure than leasing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan to keep it a long time, therefore bought it outright to avoid all money costs, whether financing or lease. I already signed up for lower resale with a manual transmission, but I will have much more fun during the next decade, well worth it and more! Recall, most taxi cabs in Germany are MBs...these cars are durable!

If you are in this for the fashion of the moment, or suffer from easy boredom, you may be happier with leasing so you can easily jump to the next fad design in two or three years. Your costs will be higher overall for that privilege. If you are going to buy, pay as much as you can and finance as little as necessary.

Owning for a long time will be an overall lower expenditure than leasing.

Im thinking more and more to just finance it. Im not really a 'fad' person. When I buy something I usually keep it until it is dead. I just wish I had more money to put towards it. Right now (according to the online build it option) the monthly finance would be 1200(including frieght) for a 24 month period. I can afford it...but the question I keep asking myself is, do I want to be poor for 2 years but have a fully loaded benz!!!

My boss says I should get it, as it will inspire me to work harder, which in turn means making more money for me and for him...lol

I have 20,000 saved up for the car...but that's all my savings. Logic dictates I should not spend all my money on a car..<sigh>...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Im thinking more and more to just finance it. Im not really a 'fad' person. When I buy something I usually keep it until it is dead. I just wish I had more money to put towards it. Right now (according to the online build it option) the monthly finance would be 1200(including frieght) for a 24 month period. I can afford it...but the question I keep asking myself is, do I want to be poor for 2 years but have a fully loaded benz!!!

My boss says I should get it, as it will inspire me to work harder, which in turn means making more money for me and for him...lol

I have 20,000 saved up for the car...but that's all my savings. Logic dictates I should not spend all my money on a car..<sigh>...
Maybe "fully loaded" isn't the right strategy. I only have the P1 package on a rwd C300, got a lifetime Sirius subscription, which amortizes to only a couple of dollars a month if keeping more than 4 years and bought a Garmin for less than one-quarter the price of the built-in nav, and it actually works better and goes with me when I travel elsewhere. The essential "goodness" of this car is in the basics and driving...that's 95% of it...some of the frills maybe are not worth straining your cash flow?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe "fully loaded" isn't the right strategy. I only have the P1 package on a rwd C300, got a lifetime Sirius subscription, which amortizes to only a couple of dollars a month if keeping more than 4 years and bought a Garmin for less than one-quarter the price of the built-in nav, and it actually works better and goes with me when I travel elsewhere. The essential "goodness" of this car is in the basics and driving...that's 95% of it...some of the frills maybe are not worth straining your cash flow?
The more I think about it, the more I am convincing myself to wait a few more months or another year as I save more money. I clear after expenses, bills, etc, 3G 's a month so it should accumulate pretty fast

·
Registered
955 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I am convincing myself to wait a few more months or another year as I save more money. I clear after expenses, bills, etc, 3G 's a month so it should accumulate pretty fast
....and fewer dinners at Scaramouche!! :D

·
Registered
2010 C300
6 Posts
Just can not afford to lease in Los Angeles with high driving miles. Purchased MY2010 for my wife with 1% 3-years finance. (about $550 a month) I like the current design very much and plan to keep it for more than 10 years (or 150K~200K miles). I will drive it when my wife buy a new car about 5 years later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts