Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'94 S600 Sedan, '97 S600 Sedan, etc
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried fitting a burl walnut steering wheel yesterday on my car, only to find out the '94 airbag doesnt sit flush inside the wheel.

Whereas the airbag has a more curvy shape on the top, the steering wheel was a straight design with no curves.

I know the steering wheel is a W140 steering wheel since it has a part number on it, but this is the first time I've heard of this issue.

And no, this isnt the issue of the slip ring vs clock spring behind the wheel. I had no problems with that.

I tried swapping the inner mechanisms but they dont line up either. Completely noninterchangeable.

I'll try taking some pictures to explain what im talking about.

·
Registered
1997 S500 Coupe & 1994 S500 Coupe
846 Posts
I don't think airbags did, but the steering wheel internals did. I think 95+ had a different design, if I remember correctly the earlier models had some sort of spring mechanism that wasn't found in the 95+.

On the outside, the steering wheels look identical for the most part, I can't tell the difference. Eddie knows though I think.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already mentioned thats not the problem in my original post :)

And no, this isnt the issue of the slip ring vs clock spring behind the wheel. I had no problems with that.
As I previously mentioned, heres some pictures:

Notice how the airbag is curved and the steering wheel is straight. The steering wheel is supposed to also have a curved shape for a snug fit.

No matter how much I try and adjust the bolts in the back, once tightened, the airbag always locks towards the right and leaves a giant gap on the left. It also engages the horn by default so when I turn the key to position 2, the horn activates. Even when I loosened the bolt on the right to try and center the wheel, it wouldnt budge due to the internal mechanism locked in place.

Its too flushed on the right side engaging the horn at all times as previously mentioned. I've spent at least 5 hours tinkering the thing, attempting to swap internals with my current stock steering wheel, etc but no success. Its been a waste of money is what it is. Gotta find yet another steering wheel which is money I certainly dont want to spend.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My hunch was correct: airbags and steering wheels had a minor redesign from 97-99

The old airbag casing(the round thing in the middle) had a larger radius, a bit fatter in depth, and has grooves on it:

The later models had a slightly smaller radius, less depth, lost the grooves and has a flatter surface:

Not to mention the airbag shape, as well as the steering wheel shape changed from a curved design to a more flat shape as seen in my original photo:

This has caused me so much headache over this past week, but a bit of research and thanks to michobebe and the mystery is finally solved.

May I suggest adding this info into the Knowledge Base so future owners will be spared of the confusion and have a much easier time than I did.

Now I just need to purchase a 97-99 airbag and im set. A lot cheaper than buying another steering wheel thats for sure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
My hunch was correct: airbags and steering wheels had a minor redesign from 97-99

The old airbag casing(the round thing in the middle) had a larger radius, a bit fatter in depth, and has grooves on it:

The later models had a slightly smaller radius, less depth, lost the grooves and has a flatter surface:

Not to mention the airbag shape, as well as the steering wheel shape changed from a curved design to a more flat shape as seen in my original photo:

This has caused me so much headache over this past week, but a bit of research and thanks to michobebe and the mystery is finally solved.

May I suggest adding this info into the Knowledge Base so future owners will be spared of the confusion and have a much easier.

Now I just need to purchase a 97-99 airbag and im set. A lot cheaper than buying another steering wheel thats for sure :rolleyes:
the 97 has a similar airbag bro. my 97 still has the curve but its not fitted well maybe thats why also there is a c280 with a flat airbag in a junkyard near my house (on pendleton i think thats the street) if you want i can look for it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Part numbers also changed :p

Old airbag: 140 460 00 68

New airbag: 140 460 11 98

Your car was probably built early '96 (97 MY) so it has the older style. The later '97 models already have a different steering wheel configuration (like michobebe)

Found an airbag from a '97 model that still uses the old style:

But the pictures I posted in the previous post were also from a '97, though a later production month.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
Part numbers also changed :p

Old airbag: 140 460 00 68

New airbag: 140 460 11 98

Your car was probably built early '96 (97 MY) so it has the older style. The later '97 models already have a different steering wheel configuration (like michobebe)

Found an airbag from a '97 model that still uses the old style:

But the pictures I posted in the previous post were also from a '97, though a later production month.
nope its a late model, but it might have been replaced in the past

·
Registered
1999 MBz W140 S600 SEDAN V12/6.0 - 1995 W140 S500 COUPE V8/5.0
172 Posts
I tried fitting a burl walnut steering wheel yesterday on my car, only to find out the '94 airbag doesnt sit flush inside the wheel.

Whereas the airbag has a more curvy shape on the top, the steering wheel was a straight design with no curves.

I know the steering wheel is a W140 steering wheel since it has a part number on it, but this is the first time I've heard of this issue.

I tried swapping the inner mechanisms but they dont line up either. Completely noninterchangeable.

I'll try taking some pictures to explain what im talking about.
:confused: Definitely NO... Mine shows perfect symmetry... I will take a picture latter on and will posted it here for you... :eek:

·
Registered
1999 MBz W140 S600 SEDAN V12/6.0 - 1995 W140 S500 COUPE V8/5.0
172 Posts
STEERING WHEEL AIRBAG SHAPE

:confused: Definitely NO... Mine shows perfect symmetry... I will take a picture latter on and will posted it here for you... :eek:
Sorry about the picture's delay VaevictisAsmadi... it's kinda difficult to take them with the steering wheel in its place, but here you have it. Hope this can help... :)

Attachments

·
M20
4,793 Posts
So the early version is curved, the late model is straight. So as long as you have both the correct year wheel + airbag, it should fit, right?

This renewed my search for the late model stitched airbag.

and as requested - added to knowledge base

1 - 10 of 10 Posts