Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject says... with the big facelift at the end of 01, the ml320 survived as a model but did the engine and transmission / drivetrain / etc change at all? Or was the facelift mainly on the interior and exterior?
 

·
C9H9N Offensive Odor Exuder
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Joined
·
11,455 Posts
The facelift began in 2002. There may have been some modified components ON the engine but the engines remained the same. Of course, the ML 430 was dropped in favor of the 500, a mistake IMHO. I think the 430 engine was more 'balanced' for the vehicle.
 

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
cmitch said:
I think the 430 engine was more 'balanced' for the vehicle.
Interesting. How do you mean?
 

·
C9H9N Offensive Odor Exuder
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Joined
·
11,455 Posts
Bogie said:
Interesting. How do you mean?
It just seems to fit it better. The weight of the vehicle and the 430 engine size seem to compliment each other. The 500 is a heavier engine for a vehicle chassis that weighs the same and that extra weight is going to take a toll on suspension parts, as well. I just think it is overkill. The 500 would be a better fit for a GL, IMHO, and the GL's 450 a better fit for an ML. I briefly considered a ML500 in leau of the ML320 I got, but considering the lousy gas mileage a 500 gets compared to the 430 I still have, I opted for the 320 (sure do wish the 430 was available in 2002 and up!). The 320 is a little weak, though, but the mileage is okay. The 320 only gets about 1 1/2 MPG more around town than the 430 BUT the 430 gets 1 mpg better than the 320 on the highway. I hope in all this babble, you see what I'm getting at.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,243 Posts
But the ML500 is faster. :D
 

·
Registered
2000 W163 ML430 1997 E39 BMW 528i
Joined
·
277 Posts
asianml said:
But the ML500 is faster. :D
How much faster can you go beyond the posted speed limit? I bet that any of us driving more than 10MPH on the freeway with a cop on the shoulder 1 mile ahead of us WILL slow down. Faster means nothing on our Freeways. This is just like owning a Bugatti with 800bhp and not being able to drive to let it all out.

After much research, I opted for the ML430. It is a well-balanced machine.
 

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
Joined
·
37,844 Posts
cal45fan said:
How much faster can you go beyond the posted speed limit?
Only up to the governed speed.
It is 115 mph on our 99 ML320.
I keep waiting to find out the limit on our ML55. :D
 

·
Registered
05 ml 350 SE
Joined
·
372 Posts
the 500 compared to the 350 doesnt have much of a difference in miles per gallon....and the updated 350 from the 320 is compared to the 430...350 is just as fast as a 430 i think, and surely weighs less...but yes, ive driven the ml500, and its quick as shit for an suv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
the 350 isnt as fast as the 430. Ive raced my friends 350, off the line im faster and when im pushing over 60-120, i always have the lead and i gain more after 40 mph.

Also the 430 isnt much slower than the 500, the 500 is faster off the line, but the 430 can handle turns much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,243 Posts
sin0822 said:
the 350 isnt as fast as the 430. Ive raced my friends 350, off the line im faster and when im pushing over 60-120, i always have the lead and i gain more after 40 mph.

Also the 430 isnt much slower than the 500, the 500 is faster off the line, but the 430 can handle turns much better.
It depends which 350 we're talking about though.
 

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
Interesting discussion. Asian... Do you mean the 163 vs. 164 350's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,243 Posts
Bogie said:
Interesting discussion. Asian... Do you mean the 163 vs. 164 350's?
Yes, the M272 (new engine) has the same power (a little less torque) and is just as quick.

BTW, the 430 and 500 are essentially the same engine.
 

·
Premium Member
05 500
Joined
·
6,632 Posts
cmitch said:
It just seems to fit it better. The weight of the vehicle and the 430 engine size seem to compliment each other. The 500 is a heavier engine for a vehicle chassis that weighs the same and that extra weight is going to take a toll on suspension parts, as well. I just think it is overkill. The 500 would be a better fit for a GL, IMHO, and the GL's 450 a better fit for an ML. I briefly considered a ML500 in leau of the ML320 I got, but considering the lousy gas mileage a 500 gets compared to the 430 I still have, I opted for the 320 (sure do wish the 430 was available in 2002 and up!). The 320 is a little weak, though, but the mileage is okay. The 320 only gets about 1 1/2 MPG more around town than the 430 BUT the 430 gets 1 mpg better than the 320 on the highway. I hope in all this babble, you see what I'm getting at.:thumbsup:
I completely understand where you're coming from. The 500 would've been much better with more hp, but I believe they pegged the power wherever it is so as not to make the 55 unattractive, but to get us all the 55 wanabes. I do believe the suspension was also reworked to accommodate related updated. I opted for the 05 500 (to replace my 02 320), for the hp, but also for the better ride - I drove a 500 loaner for several days while the 320 was in the shop for yet another issue, and on same road, same bumps, same speed, the 500 was a much better ride. I had to have one!!! I have also lived with a 430 and it just seemed more nimble than the 500 - is that the general experience??? However, the ergonomics of the 02+ trucks is so much better than pre 02 models. I even lived with a 00 55 for a few days and didn't like it better than my 02 320!!! As for going fast, I don't know about you folks but since my ML is 98% family interstate cruiser, I have no problems hitting 85-90 on most of my drives. Maybe it's just where I drive!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
2005 ML500SE
Joined
·
235 Posts
asianml said:
Yes, the M272 (new engine) has the same power (a little less torque) and is just as quick.

BTW, the 430 and 500 are essentially the same engine.
To americanize the difference. The 500 has a .27" larger bore and same stroke as a 430. 262 C.I. to 303 C.I The difference in torque is 37 ft. lbs.--288 to 325. That is huge in my estimation. I've owned both and the 500 has much more pull than the 430. I used to have the 430 on the floor now and then. Never been there yet with the 500----didn't need to. The difference in gas mileage is about 1 MPG or less depending on the roads. The 500 gets way better mileage in the mountains----more torque! :cool: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
theres somthign else about hte 500 and the 430, the 500's responce is faster i think due to a rework in the accelerator pedal. I drove my friends 350 and i saw that it accelerated proportionaly to how much i pressed, the 430 does not do this though it has a throttle lag. Thats a huge difference i see, but the kickdown switch has the same repsonce in both. Also the 430 would be more nible becuase it is lighter.
 

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
Call me Sammy Sausagehead, but the bigger bore of the 500 is because more material has been removed from each cylinder. Where does the extra weight come from?
 

·
Registered
2005 ML500SE
Joined
·
235 Posts
Bogie said:
Call me Sammy Sausagehead, but the bigger bore of the 500 is because more material has been removed from each cylinder. Where does the extra weight come from?
You are correct. The first thing I noticed about my 500 over the 430 was there seemed to be a little more engine noise. The shop foreman(not SA) at my dealer said the 500 block casting is thinnner, thus lighter and more prone to engine noises. I assume from that statement that the 500 engine may be lighter than the 430. For sure it pulls a lot harder, and the more RPM the harder it pulls. I drove an 06 350 once while my 05 was being serviced. It seemed to lag off the line then come on compared to the 500. V-8's forever!! :cool:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top