Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done all my cabin filters today. The sticky helped a lot but there seems to be a lot of confusion on which screws to remove to get the glove box out, whether the glove box light should be removed etc. The article that ohlord posted stated for example that you have to unhook the glove box door stays.

Well, at least on my 2002 it's the following:

1) 2 screws on the top front of the glove box.
2) 2 screws on the top inside the glove box, about 1 inch out from the glove box light on each side.
3) 2 screws on the bottom on the glove box, hidden beneath 2 rubber plugs.

There is no need to remove the 2 stop screws (rubber covered) on the sides of the glove box, and no need to unhook the door stays. The glove box slips out quite easily if you pull it UPWARDS at about a 30 - 45 degree angle. Pull towards your face if you sit in front of the glove box - if it hits you in the face you've pulled too far, since you should have unplugged the glove box light once it slips free. :D:D Don't jerk the glove box, just apply a steady pull. The glove box latch comes out with the glove box, so no need to worry about that either.

Just another observation: I've ordered the replacement filters from AutohausAZ. They are definitely not the same quality as the original Mercedes filters. The carbon filters in my car was still the originals made in 2001. They were about twice as heavy as the replacement filters and had an extra cloth filter over the carbon-impregnated paper filter and of a more sturdy design. On the other hand, they looked about the same quality as the carbon filters I bought from the dealer for my SLK last year, so maybe the newer ones are just like that? The same also applies to the 2 fresh air cabin filters. Although they are from Bosch, they are also made more flimsy and I feel they do not seal as tight in the housing as the MB filters. But then these are not safety related features, so it probably doesn't matter too much.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2001 E320, 2004 S430
991 Posts
Where did you grab the glove box when you pull it?

Did you remove the light and grab at that recess?

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
Stick your fingers behind the hinges of the glove box door and try to pull it in an angle 45 degrees upward towards you. At first it looks like you are going to break it, but give yourself the confidences that you have removed all screws and that is all you need to do to remove the glove box.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did you grab the glove box when you pull it?

Did you remove the light and grab at that recess?
No need to remove the light. Daisound summarized it perfectly. The big thing is to pull upwards - not straight and not down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts